So do you have a game day coming up soon? Well not to worry because we have some wonderful suggestions for you! A game day is supposed to be relaxing and energizing at the same time! Sounds contradicting right? Let us explain! You need to eat something that is quickly made but at the same time ensure that it is loaded with nutrients so you can enjoy the match. Now let us see some of the tips for making game day meals!
Tips to making the game day meal highly nutritive-
1. Focus on incorporating more carbs in the meal- carbs render us energy and they are essential. You should include whole wheat and grains so that the meal has the necessary component of carbs.
Energy drinks are the last resort as a quick energy supplement but carbs are the best way to gain energy healthily without any artificial means.
2. Indulge in more and more protein diets- proteins confer the body with strength to regain the energy in the muscles! More the protein in your diet the better it is! They act as growth and building blocks for the body! Try and add meat, milk, and egg to your overall routine! Spread your meal throughout the day rather than hogging them down all at once. Yogurt, veggies, and grains are also rich in plant protein. We almost forgot to mention tofu and beans which are rich in protein as well!
3. Be careful about food containing too much fat- Fat is tough to burn and it is a big no-no for match days! The slow digestion of fat requires more energy which gets invested in breaking fatty acid molecules rather than keeping on energized throughout the match day. Fried food, desserts, and readymade packaged soft drinks and chips should be avoided at all costs. You do not wish to feel sluggish during such a big day, do you?
4. Consider how safe it is to consume- you certainly do not wish to fall sick in the middle of the day, do you? Well, then be careful about what you are consuming a couple of days ahead and on D-day. It is best to say that you do not wish to be greeted with unwanted nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea in the middle of the match! So be cautious about the food items you consume. Eat fresh and avoid packaged food altogether. Make sure that no matter what you cook, the ingredients are thoroughly washed first. Items like cheese, yogurt, and mayonnaise should be stored inside the refrigerator as they are prone to getting stale quickly if the climate is humid around.
5. Consumer enough fluids - Hydration is necessary for kids as well as adults and so the more water the best! There is no better medicine for our body than water. If it is hot during the summer months then you have to be careful about drinking liters of water throughout the day! Drink every fifteen minutes to feel fresh and energized. Under extreme heat, you can even run off glucose through sweating so take water, ORS( oral rehydration solution ), and so on.
6. Always time yourself- you should never eat right before the watch! When you eat is equally crucial so that the body can digest the food in time and confer you with the required strength. Never overeat on a match day assuming that you will gather more energy! This is because overeating can lead to indigestion. On the other hand, finish your meal about two to three hours ahead of time and in case you feel hungry in the middle of the match or right before then a granola bar is enough to fill your tummy.
7. Drink fat-free milk- along with water, you need to drink enough fluid like fruit juices and fat-free milk. It has both calcium and protein to strengthen your bones and muscles.
Let us see what are some of the match day recipes that you can enjoy this season!
Healthy game day recipes to savor on your D-day
If there is any leftover in the house and it is fresh then you can stuff it in the tender potatoes which turn out to be a filling as well as a healthy dish to relish on a match day! Dried cranberries and parsley is added to make the stuffing hash taste divine.
Quite a unique name isn't it? Well, prepare the bubble and squeak platter with bristle sprouts, carrots, and parsnips. It also has potatoes and stuffing to confer one with energy through loads of carbohydrate consumption throughout the meal.
The name is interesting, right? Well, you will surely find the recipe equally nutritious and healthy to add to your diet! Tossed in different sauces, each one has a unique taste! So you are surely in for a surprise in every bite.
For those of you who are not quite sure of what it is exactly, in a simpler way it can be called noodles with meatballs and that is surely something all of us like to have! Tossed in tangy tomato sauce, and served with succulent meat, the dish is superb to describe in a word.
5. Katsu Sando
Being extremely healthy, we are in love with the recipe of Katsu sando which is just another Japanese and upgraded version of your regular sandwich but bursting with more flavors.
Heading to the match? Pack yourself the peanut butter chicken salad in the form of a sandwich and you are good to go! It is both filling and healthy with apples, cucumbers, and loads of peanut butter. Try using whole-grain bread to consume more carbohydrates.
Vibrant and mouth-watering, the recipe for chipotle steak with pepper hash is simply outstanding! Cooked with loads of potatoes, scallion, and onions, chipotle steak is ready in a jiffy and great for dinner. So shall we try it then?
I would personally recommend you try this wholesome and nutritious sandwich prepared with veggies and proteins to keep you energized throughout the day. The flavourful presence of turkey and ham makes this sandwich simply irresistible for anyone.
Do you like turkey sandwiches? Here is something new for you to try out! Simmered with olives and raisins, the sandwiches are perfect to keep you encouraged on match day! The spices and distinguished flavors are what make a Piccadillo sandwich so amazing!
The combination of meatloaf and onions renders the dish with an outstanding flavor. Juicy and succulent, the layers of ketchup, veggies, and meat within the meatloaf make this dish simply taste so divine! Grab a giant meatloaf sandwich before you begin the day.
How satisfying this dish is with eggs, tomatoes, and lettuce! Just the classic sandwich that you took to school but with a surprising twist. Topped with mayonnaise and pickle, this is a sweet and sour sandwich recipe that shall confer you with enthusiasm for the day!
12. Meatball Sliders with a Twist
These small sliders are filling and yet you will not feel heavy right before them as well! Wholesome and yummy, the hint of parsley and honey, makes this dish taste so brilliant that you might reach out for a second.
Cooked with shallots, mushrooms, and parsley for flavoring, you shall completely fall in love with the braised short ribs with the delicious tomato sauce drizzled with cream and red wine. So what are you waiting for?
This curry recipe has it all! From bacon to parsley, potatoes, and onions, the savory and mouth-watering recipe of Dublin coddle is so yummy that you will not be satiated with a single bowl. The flavor of the beef broth will keep you hooked forever.
The pap cups are so easy to make that you can even cook them with your eyes closed or half asleep! Feeling nervous for the day? Get yourself cheered up for the match weekend with the fully loaded pap cups.
The misal masala dosa is so healthy and delicious that you will be thrilled to enjoy it for breakfast! Sumptuous and easy to cook when you have a big day ahead, misal masala dosa is perfect to ravish.
Healthy and savory at the same time, you will hardly need a couple of minutes to toss all the ingredients in the bowl and prepare the prawn, lemon, and mint pasta for a hearty meal! Try out this dish for sure!
18. Sausage pasta
If you are in a hurry and wish to make something quickly for brunch then there is nothing as awesome as the scrumptious sausage pasta! Wholesome and juicy, we have topped it with sauce and chopped meaty sausages. So shall we try it then?
Throwing a party after the successful match? Why do you need to order when we have the classic party-ready Mardi Gras recipe right here for you? The delicious shrimp curry marinated with spices is right here for a grand celebration with friends.
The tender smoked haddock is a treat for the success of the match! Luxurious and creamy, the rarebit haddock is prepared with spinach and gives a distinguished experience to the taste buds. Enjoy the dish with cheesy sauce in every mouthful.
Have you heard about green mac and cheese before? Well, it is here to your delight! The creamy and smooth pasta will melt in your mouth with every bite and be such a treat to your taste buds. So shall we try it then?
Anything cooked in olive oil is healthy for a light match day meal! Cooked with flavourful ingredients and our best friend potatoes, the chicken traybake meal is so wholesome to indulge in. So what are you waiting for?
Here comes another delicious and encouraging dish for the match day! Falafel tahini flavored with veggies and cream is a street dish that everyone loves to enjoy. A wholesome recipe that keeps your tummy full and your heart happy for the day!
Are you tense before the grand match? Well, food is the only thing that can help you keep energized and reduce the panic. The presence of parsley, lemon, and broccoli fills it with green and gives a boost to your day!
Are you in the mood for meat to celebrate the pre-success of your match? Then it calls for you to try out the butter-basted sirloin steak cooked with vegetable oil so that it is easily digestible. Spinach is highly nutritious and rich in protein.
Perfect for the evening or if you are looking for a light meal for brunch, the Mexican pork and street corn tacos are so delicious and crispy in every bite. Cooked with a dash of butter, the recipe is so sumptuous!
If you are running late then a creamy sausage spinach lasagne is the right pal on your match day! Ready in just thirty minutes, the dish is flooded with the flavor of baby spinach and oregano.
Healthy and ready in a jiffy, the asparagus and broad bean salad is something that you can prepare in a jiffy! Toss all the ingredients together and sprinkle some olive oil dressing to enjoy your greens!
Want to enjoy something sumptuous for dinner? Then go ahead with the pesto chicken bundles cooked with a coating of breadcrumb marinating the succulent meat. The flavor of pesto and basil is pronounced in this refreshing meaty recipe.
Indulge in something healthy and flavorful with a bowl of broccoli and chorizo pasta! Celebrate your grand success with a bowl of healthy charred broccoli which will be light on your stomach as well. So are you planning to prepare it then?
After much discussion, you must be highly confused about what to eat and what not for the match days! Here is our answer to that! All the food that classifies as green flags are listed below-
- Sauteed or grilled dishes are ideal when you are preparing for the match! These are much easier for you to digest.
- Incorporate scrambled eggs for breakfast so you do not go to the field empty stomach.
- Pasta, rice, and bread are rich in carbohydrates and you should encourage such items in your meal at least for the whole week when you have a match coming up.
- Protein is best consumed by meat, pulses, and beans which are essential components of your diet.
- Veggies like carrots, beetroot, and zucchini are some of the best options you have! So toss them in any dish you are preparing.
- Yogurt is a great substitute for milk and other dairy products which you should consume more and more.
- Berries are good antioxidants and boost your immune system so you do not fall sick easily.
Bottom Line- Match days are crucial and a proper diet shall help you to secure the trophy.