Well, why always chicken and lamb when there are so many other options waiting for you in the market? Did you ever come across venison in the meat section of the supermarket and wondered how this one tastes? Well, we have an answer to your question! Venison meat is succulent and tough! You need to process them well so the meat is easy to consume and chew! So this time if you took the courage of buying venison meat then, of course, this section is meant for you. Let's find out the ways you can cook your meat and the techniques to soften the flesh.
Dear Meat is one of the healthiest of all! It consumes fresh herbs and grasses and the flesh lacks all sorts of unhealthy components like cholesterol and fat! On the other hand, it is rich in vitamins like B12, B6, and Omega 3. However, venison sells much less in the market, and if you are wondering why so then the answer lies in the style of cooking! Most of us are not aware of the technique of making venison and as a result, end up ruining it altogether. It might taste gamey and chewy we will not lie but that is because you are not aware of the tips that are mentioned below! So read on.
1. Proper processing of the meat- it is definitely needed for one to process the meat the moment the deer is slaughtered. The dressing is highly important and includes the removal of the inedible portions of the body including the intestine, stomach, and so on. It takes about a couple of hours to age the meat in the freezer. Then the tough portions such as sinew, gristle, silver skin, and anything else that is not muscle are removed as well.
What we often forget or skip is the process of aging which is absolutely crucial in the case of deer meat! So if you know, there are two types of aging, dry aging, and wet aging. Under dry aging, you are expected to subject the meat to a regular temperature of 37°C for a while. You shall need seven to eight days for the process. Many even keep the meat under this circumstance for even fourteen days. The connective tissue and muscle fibers are broken down during this given time.
Talking about wet aging is the aging of the meat in the absence of air in a vacuum container for at least fourteen days. This is the common technique used at stores. If you have a processor the job is done faster and mechanically without investing much effort.
Most of this is done at the stores before packaging but if you are buying fresh meat and do not have so many days in hand then all you can do is place the meat on one of the freezer racks and point a fan towards the flesh for thirty minutes. It is amazing to observe how better the meat becomes brown!
2. Season the venison with mild flavors- you have to note the foraging behavior of the animal in this case. There might be many who would suggest deer has a gamey taste but that is not true! Deer consume herbs, grasses, berries, and fruits! Hence it is safe to say that deer in fact tastes better than beef! Cooked on high heat, the deer needs to be seasoned mildly! This will allow you to enjoy the inherent taste of the deer. Given that you have processed the meat well, the taste of the meat will leave you smitten as we suggested earlier.
3. Do not overcook the meat- if you overcook deer then it is better you chew rubber instead because that is exactly how it shall taste. You need to sear the meat on a low flame that allows the meat to remain tender and flavorful. The technique requires you to sear and then allow the meat to sizzle and rest for ten minutes before you put the butter and cut it into slices. Venison takes less time than beef and ideally, it needs to be cooked at 130°. Beyond that, the meat begins to toughen up.
4. Venison and beef are cooked in separate styles so don't confuse the two- there are loads of muscles and connective tissue in deer than in beef so naturally the style of cooking is completely different. There is a sense of marbling too! So when the collagen cooks and gets converted to gelatin, there is nothing like the taste of this meat. Follow the steps mentioned in the recipe so you do not encounter any errors during the process!
5. During braising, make sure that the temperature is maintained low- during the process of braising, the deer meat is dry-seared and then seared again in low heat in some liquid in a pot. This is the technique that is applied for meat that is tough as a result, the collagen dissolves to form gelatin and then leaves the meat to become even more tender and delicious. Throughout this step, you have to make sure that the temperature is kept low. Consequently, the moisture is released and the meat dries up and becomes even more succulent.
6. Which is better, a slow cooker or a Dutch oven?
Temperature for braising the meat should be kept between 135-140 °F and most of the slow cookers are unable to reach such a low temperature. Hence you should work with a Dutch oven when cooking venison. Once you are done making the venison meat, allow the meat to rest in the refrigerator overnight! This will make your meal even more tasteful the next day.
7. Match the cut of deer meat with the recipe that you are cooking- this is something that we skip most of the time. Depending on the technique which you try out, the cut of the meat should be coordinated. For example, here are some cuts and the coordinated technique of cooking.
- Tenderloin and loins: serve rare.
- Shoulders, shanks, and neck: braise (low and slow for stews and soups).
8. Indulge in dry rub- when you are preparing the meat, especially deer, dry rub is always an effective solution to infuse flavors in meat! This includes dry rub with herbs and several other seasonings. Refrigerate for at least twenty-four hours for the dressing to tenderize the meat well.
Let us find out about some venison meat recipes!
Delicious and Easy Venison Recipes for Everyone | Best Venison Dishes
When it is venison, we have to begin the discussion with the beer-braised roast of deer meat!
Succulent and flavorful, the roast is marinated in gravy and served over a bed of mashed potatoes.
Well, if it is winter then you have to enjoy your buns with venison stew on the sides!
Delicious and soupy, the recipe is super exciting if you are cooking forward to a warm and detectable dinner with your family. Let's make it.
The smokey and flavorful meat served with bread and mashed potatoes truly makes it a grand occasion!
Dinner can be special even on ordinary days if you know the way to make it so!
Here is something that you should indulge in.
This is a complete and wholesome recipe that you can consume with rice, noodles, or pasta on the sides.
The pan-seared roast can even go with just a lump of mashed potatoes with it! The mild garlicky essence complemented by butter is truly wonderful!
And then comes the herbs.
You need ground venison to make this preparation which tastes divine.
So if you are celebrating an occasion like Easter or Thanksgiving, then this Shepherd's Pie should feature on the table.
Pack some Venison Barbecue sandwiches for lunch to work!
Keep some extra for your colleagues because the sight of the shredded meat in bread will make it hard for anyone to resist. Let's give it a try!
You have got the venison ready in the kitchen, toss it with eggs and veggies and your venison egg roll will be ready in a jiffy!
The dish is truly satisfying and filling so do not wait anymore and make it right away.
There is nothing much to talk about meatballs except that venison meatballs are the best!
You can toss it in gravy or eat it for starters but one thing is constant, these are something you will hardly be able to resist.
The gorgeous venison Philly cheesesteak slider is fantastic and marinated in loads of cream and cheese!
So if you were craving Philly cheesesteak for a while, now that you have some venison at home, make them this way.
The name of the dish speaks for itself!
We have the exotic Venison stew marinated in red wine and sauced, served over a bed of mashed potatoes.
Ready to adorn the table, these are so sumptuous and filling indeed.
This is rather a new and unique sort of recipe with venison meat that we are sure you haven't tried before!
If that is true then the venison lasagna stuffed shells are waiting for you right here.
Make it quickly and dig in.
Comforting and cozy, the venison steak with mushroom cream sauce is a classic recipe for any meat!
There is no doubt about the fact that everyone's mouth will begin to water at the sight of this steak on the table.
If you manage to make only one recipe with venison for dinner as the time is short, try out this wholesome treat!
The Venison and wild rice baked with veggies, ning, and herbs, renders you with a sense of contentment and bliss in every bite.
If you are in the mood for something healthy and enriching then the venison burrito bowl is what you should try out this week.
Served with refreshing veggies, avocado, and rice, this is an excellent idea.
The delectable pan-seared venison tenderloin with smooth butter and garlic is wonderful and leaves you craving more!
Cozy and enriched with a garlicky essence, this is an extraordinary recipe to make this season! So shall we begin?
Here is a brand new way for you to enjoy jalapeno poppers! Stuffed with venison, the recipe is ideal as an appetizer to a meal!
The perfect meaty and veggie treat for the summer. Let us give it a try!
Replenished with the good of black beans, chopped tomatoes, and many more seasonings, the venison queso dip is extraordinary and can be served warm with buns on the side.
The perfect source of indulgence for winter nights we must say!
Saucy, spicy and cheesy, the venison goulash recipe is a delicious creation that leaves you completely in love with the dish.
Delectable and creamy, the venison goulash recipe with macaroni is so exciting and out of the world.
Let's make it on a busy weeknight!
You have tried ham and chicken burgers, now it is time for you to relish the venison burger too!
Saucy and tangy, the recipe is super exciting and served with cheese and veggies! You know what to make for a healthy snack this evening.
The ground venison stroganoff is such a tempting option that once you take a bite, you will stop only when the plate is empty.
Fascinating and creamy, the gravy makes the dish even more hot and spicy indeed.
1. Which is the best way to cook venison?
Searing till golden brown, the venison is cooked well in a low flame which prevents the meat from encountering any burns. This always prevents drying out of the flesh.
2. How can you prevent the meat from getting tough?
Processing the meat for about two weeks allows the fiber and the skin to become tender. This is an effective way to get rid of the gamey flavor as well.
3. Is venison easy for you to cook?
Venison does not need much time for you to cook! If the processing is done well, then the venison meat can be seared in low heat for a short while and your succulent meaty curry is ready.
4. Is venison meat tasty and healthy?
Venison meat is definitely healthy and tasty at the same time. Deer consume grasses, herbs, berries, and nuts, hence the flesh lacks cholesterol and unwanted fat. Contrary to common belief, deer meat is indeed tasty and irresistible.
5. How can you make venison meat taste good?
There are several techniques to making your venison meat taste good. Soaking in buttermilk or tossing in gravy are some of the common ways to do so although there are plenty more methods.
6. What spice goes well with venison?
Almost all sorts of seasoning work well with venison but you need to be careful with the extent of flavoring used. This can mask the original flavor of the meat! Hence it is always prescribed to go for mild flavors like butter, garlic, and so on.
Bottom Line- Well that is all about venison this time! Now you have to choose the recipe that you wish to make and dig in! Wish you luck and enjoy your meal!