Halloween is all about colorful candies, ghosts, vamps, and happy kids roaming around the neighborhood asking for treats! Have you started to make something for them yet? Well, there is no way you can escape cookies, candles, pies, and cupcakes when it is this time of the year. But you can definitely make sure that all the treats that your kids hog down are not only delicious but healthy too! After all, you do not want them to end up with a bad stomach ache at the end of the season! There is a way to ensure that! You need to work on making candies at home! Store-bought ones, although tempting, are not always good! Let us find out the tips to make yummy and healthy candy recipes at home, shall we then?
Are you tired of your little ones munching on unhealthy treats from the store? Well, now is your time to intervene! Learn these tips so you can make flawless candies at home. This way you and your child both shall be relieved and happy at the same time.
What are some of the common candy-making tools?
First of all, to make candies at home, you shall require some tools like utensils, vessels, and spoons to initiate the job.
1. Saucepan- to make the syrup on the fire, you will need a bowl which is the saucepan in this case. The bottom should be heavy and the size should be considerably big so you can make syrup for many candies at a time. It is Halloween and you are definitely going to exhaust all resources srogces for treats soon enough.
2. A large bowl- a large bowl is needed to balance the syrup-filled saucepan on it! This bowl is placed on the water bath or above the ice slab to allow the syrup to cool down! The temperature of the sugar syrup continues to rise even when it is pulled down from the gas oven and to allow it to cool down you need a cold bath treatment similar to what we mentioned. Hence the need for a large bowl.
3. Wooden heat-proof spoon or silicone spoon- you need a heat-proof spoon to stir the syrup continuously.
4. Pastry brush- you need to brush the pan and the sides the same with water so that the syrup does not crystallize to the edges.
5. A candy thermometer- this allows you to measure the temperature of the syrup and when you should bring it out of the pan!
- Sugar- depending on the quality of the sugar you use, the quality of the candies will be framed. Sugar is the most basic constituent of the candy and hence you have to be careful with what you use.
- Unsalted butter- this is another important ingredient without which you simply can't make candy! The smooth and savory essence of the candy that melts in your mouth is due to the presence of refined quality unsalted butter. You should not use margarine in exchange for butter in any candy recipe as the water content of margarine is high and affects the taste and consistency of the syrup otherwise.
1. Allow the sugar to dissolve in the liquid - once the sugar dissolves in the heated liquid over a low flame, you should not stir it anymore! Bring it to a boil and allow the fluid to settle down.
2. Measure the temperature from time to time- the temperature of the syrup will gradually rise! You should use a candy thermometer to determine the temperature of the syrup from time to time. The moment it reaches the ideal point you are expected to bring it down from the heat and place it in a large bowl on top of a cold water bath. Make sure that the bulb of the thermometer does not touch the surface of the vessel or you will get inaccurate reading. Always clean the thermometer after every use so that the accuracy in reading can be maintained.
3. Remove immediately after the syrup is ready- the ideal temperature will indicate that the syrup for the candy is ready. You can then go ahead and bring it down from the gas stove! After that, the pan is placed in a larger bowl, and allow the arrangement to settle down in a cold water bath. Even after the syrup is removed from the heat, the temperature continues to rise and so it is essential for you to cool them in the arrangement that we mentioned above in the instructions!
If you do not have a thermometer then what is the way to check the internal temperature of the syrup-
There is a cold water testing method that one can use instead of a thermometer if one does not have it in their house. You can take a small amount of the syrup and drop it in the glass to check its stage! If it drops in a thread-like stage, softball, or hardball stage, then you can detect the temperature accordingly. Each state is representative of the type of candy one can make with syrup! You must remove the syrup from the gas oven while you carry out the testing so that it is not overcooked during the process of getting burnt.
How to modify the temperature depending on the altitude- for a particular increase in altitude, the temperature of the syrup, while it is cooking should be reduced. For example, for every 500 feet, you should reduce the temperature by one degree! If you are at an altitude of 3500 feet, then instead of working at a temperature of 234°F you should work at 227°F. Similarly, at 4000 feet, it should be 226°F, and so on.
4. Check the weather for the day you are making the syrup- a clean and dry, sunny day is ideal for making candies. This is because sugar attracts humidity and becomes sticky in the process.
5. Always test the temperature and maintain it fine- make sure you use a thermometer that gives an accurate reading! Place it in a pan of boiling water and check whether the temperature record is 212°F. If so the thermometer is alright but in case it is faulty you can adjust the degrees accordingly.
6. Make sure you use ingredients that are properly measured- do not be inaccurate with the ingredients that you need! Accuracy is highly important when you are making candies! Weigh them out carefully!
Here are some wonderful Halloween candy recipes that you can try at home!
If you had made cookies recently but much of the dough is left and you are wondering what is the easiest thing to do with it then go ahead and work on the leftover Halloween candy! These are made with extra cookie dough and studded with chocolates and colorful gems.
All it takes are ten minutes to come up with a jar of Halloween barks! Yes, it is true! Studded with candy corn and spooky eyes, these are super yummy and so hard to resist. So what are you waiting for? Make it today!
These cookie bars are not only delicious but so tempting to look at! If you are a fan of candies then rest assured this will speak to your heart. What an excellent idea to try out this Halloween season!
Well, nothing goes to waste when we are talking about Halloween! The candy treats are the best! You can easily make it with the rest of the cookie dough which is left behind. So are you ready to make some candies then?
All you need are three basic ingredients to make the Halloween fudges! Studded with beautiful treats, you are definitely going to surprise your kids with this one. Rest assured that the plate of fudges will not last long. So shall we then?
The lovely pumpkin bread truffles are right here to make the holiday season even more special for you! Shaped like mini pumpkins and filled with crumbly chocolate, this is an excellent idea! You can offer it as one of the appetizers at the party as well.
The idea of mini candy corn cheesecakes is super easy and tempting at the same time! These small bite-sized appetizers are perfect to make the occasion even more sprightly and joyous for everyone. There is a ghost perched on top of the cheesecake.
How can you miss out on the candy cookie bars? Combining the best of both, the candy cookies are fantastic and we are sure you will crave more in every bite. So make it right away!
The three-layered candy corn fudges are perfect toffee that you can make to hand over to the kids knocking at tricksoor for trick or treats! This is a brilliant idea and you ought to give it a try for sure!
The Jack-o-lantern brownies are another fantastic creation perfectly suited to the theme of the event! Loaded with rich orange chocolate and marshmallows, the recipe gives a new definition to candies and brownies! So when are you planning to make it then? Halloween is almost here!
The Halloween candy bark is ready in just a couple of minutes! Adorned with myriad shades and so many fascinating treats, there is no way the barks will last more than a fraction at the party. Forget about kids, even adults will claim their share!
Here comes another amazing treat to make the season of Halloween full of macabre and a sense of spookiness! Vibrant and crunchy, the scarecrow Halloween snack mix is the best option for the holidays. Shall we then?
The cauldron brownie is such a wonderful idea with a green frothy chocolate layer oozing from the top. The miniature version of the cauldron is an amazing idea and you should try it out. What a great idea to make to surprise the little ones.
14. Ghost pretzels
Dipped in white chocolate, the ghost chocolate pretzels are suited to the theme of the occasion. Spooky and delicious, chewy and sweet pretzel bites are destined to get over within a fraction of a minute as you offer them to the guests!
The cauldron Oreo balls are another extraordinary creation packed with chocolate and vanilla icing! These Oreo balls are perfect to munch on in the middle of the day and see how elated and joyous you feel! Shall we make it then?
The tricolored pretzels are perfectly suited to the theme of the occasion! Spooky and yummy, you simply can't miss out on them! Place a huge tray filled with pretzels at the party and see how quickly they disappear.
It is the season of Halloween and you simply can't sit idle not dipping your hands in chocolate! The recipe is fantastic and you can enjoy it while you groove to the mood of the evening. So what are you waiting for?
The Halloween candy cookie bars are simple to make and great to munch on with a refreshing beverage on the sides. Not just the kids, but even the adults will not be able to spare their share in the candy jar.
Homemade butterfingers are refreshing and chewy! Sweet and delectable, the butterfingers are enriched in flavor and served as small treats at the party. You can wrap it up in silver paper and serve it as treats to the little ones at the doors.
It is the time of Halloween and definitely the candies are supposed to look scary! The violet candy bark is nothing less! Enjoy the aura of macabre and thrill with the scary violet Halloween barks on the table for the guests to enjoy!
1. What is the basic candy instruction that you must follow as you make candy at home?
The temperature and texture of the syrup must be monitored to determine the success of your hard work.
2. What are some of the basic tips for making candy for Halloween?
The candy syrup should be heated in a deep saucepan and the syrup must be thick in consistency! Do not allow the sugar to get burnt out and always keep a candy thermometer handy.
3. What are some of the steps which are involved in professional candy making?
Filtration, crystallization, and sedimentation are some of the basic steps of making candies. Image candies are mainly prepared at home and perfect for the festive season.
4. What are some of the common ingredients required in making candies?
Sugar is the main ingredient which is required for making the syrup for the candy which is gradually thickened and given myriad shapes.
5. Why is my candy not hardening?
If you observe that your candy is hardening then perhaps there is too much moisture in the syrup and it needs to be removed.
This Halloween, making homemade candy can be both fun and delicious! With the right ingredients, technique, and creativity, you can whip up tasty treats that will be sure to please any crowd. Try spooky witch fingers, crunchy popcorn balls, or gooey caramel apples for a Halloween party that all your guests will love. And don’t forget to get creative - you’re sure to surprise your guests with your homemade candy masterpieces. So, this Halloween season, get cooking and have a ghoulishly good time!
Whether you’re looking to make a scary treat or something warm and cozy, these quick and easy homemade candy recipes are sure to give your Halloween the right amount of sweetness. So, put on your cooking hat, and get in the kitchen to create these amazing treats!
As you’ve seen, there’s a lot you can do with some simple ingredients and a bit of creativity. With these recipes in mind, the possibilities for homemade candies this Halloween season are endless! So, don’t delay - start cooking up some spooky treats today for a scary and sweet Halloween you won’t soon forget!