We all have come across yams at one time or the other when we visited the supermarket! If you have always walked past it and never tried it out then perhaps it is time for you to buy them! In this article, we shall discuss the ways to make yam and other wonderful recipes too! And the best part about cooking yam is that these can blend well with any ingredient! So if you have Yam on the kitchen counter then here is what you need to know!
1. First you need to preheat the oven and the pan-
The temperature of the pan should reach 350°F. Now you need a baking sheet that should be covered with aluminum foil. Then set the pan aside while you prepare the yam and season it!
2. Next you need to slice the yam in circles and place them on the pan- first you should peel the skin of the yam and then use a knife to chop them to pieces! The circles are placed on the baking sheet in a long row. Do not make the slices too thin then the yam shall get burnt or soggy! About one-fourth inch is the ideal measurement for thickness. Try to slice the yam evenly so that you can ensure even baking.
3. Well, now you have to season it- depending on what the recipe says, you need to season your yam properly! You can choose to do it with lighter flavors or bold spices whichever you desire to enjoy.
4. Now you should roast for about thirty minutes- this is to be noted that roasting yam should not take more than thirty minutes. You can pick a fork and insert it within the yam to check whether the pieces have turned tender or not. The indicator is to observe that the edges should curl up a little bit. Then you remove the yam and serve it hot and fresh! If there are extras left on the tray, then you can store it within an airtight container and it can last up to one to two days.
1. Wash and poke the yams- yam is produced underground and there shall be dirt and dust accumulated on the surface of the veggie. Wash the yam probably and make sure you scrub it well. Use a kitchen towel to dry the surface of the yam and now use a fork to poke holes into the yam. This allows spaces for the heat to escape and prevents the steam from accumulating and making the center of the veggie soggy. Try and arrange for yams that are of the same size so one can initiate even cooking without any getting overcooked or under!
2. Then place the yams on a plate- ad the next step you shall be needing a large plate or a couple of small plates to lay the yam. Place a wet paper towel on the surface of the yam covering it completely and then put it inside the microwave.
3. Microwaving shall take about five minutes- set the microwave for about five minutes on high and wait for your yam to get baked. If you have several yams, then you need to keep five minutes aside for each of them. Take it out and poke it with a fork to check whether the yam is ready or not! If it needs to be tenderized a little more then put it in the microwave for another five minutes. Orange and yellow yams take about five minutes approximately while purple yams can take even longer.
4. Finally you need to peel and serve the yam- use a mit as you bring out the yam from the oven! Allow it to cool down for a while so that you can touch it with your bare fingers! Then peel away the skin and enjoy it with seasoning like butter and salt! You can even slice it and use it for some other recipe! If you are not planning to use it immediately then go ahead and keep it inside the refrigerator in an airtight container and it shall remain fresh for about two days.
If you are done with roasting and microwaving then here is another technique that you can use to process your yam first! Mashing your yams!
1. First you need to cut, peel and slice the yam-
Well, the very first step towards making mashed yam involves peeling the skin first and then you slice it into small cubes so that it is easy to boil them quickly
Make sure that the pieces are even so that the yam can get cooked evenly! Use a saucepan and fill it with water and wait until it starts to boil.
2. Allow the yam to cook for about twenty minutes- in a medium saucepan, pour the amount of water which can drown the yam pieces completely. Allow them to boil for about twenty minutes. Pour some salt accordingly so that the taste of it remains good and then allow it to simmer. Then check with a fork if the yam is ready and throw away the water from the side.
3. Now you need to heat the milk and butter- pour some milk and butter in the saucepan and then stir until the butter completely melts into it and then turn off the heat.
4. Mash them together- drain the yam and then mash it with milk and butter so they have blended well into each other. Mash until even but do not overdo it since that can ruin its texture and make it pulpy.
1. Cook some yams- in a microwave, you must cook a couple of yams and once they are cool, you can remove them from the tray, peel the skin, and cut them into slices.
2. Combine the ingredients and then preheat the oven again- now use all the ingredients as it is mentioned in the particular recipe that you are following and then stir well. Then turn the stove at 400°F. Allow the syrup to cook on high flame until it begins to boil and bubble then reduce the heat to medium followed by simmering for forty-five minutes. Continue to stir so the syrup does not stick at the bottom. Cover the yam with syrup and adorn it with marshmallows before you place it inside the oven to bake for another forty-five minutes.
Delicious Yam Recipes to Try - Get Ready for Some Good Eating!
If you are looking for something sweet and flavorful, then the candied yam and sweet potato recipe with sliced veggies soaked in sugar and maple syrup tastes so good!
The recipe for roasted sweet potatoes with yam takes only about a couple of minutes and just four ingredients to make with perfection. Delicious to enjoy as a healthy side dish too!
With the combination of cheese, nutmeg, onions, and seasoning, the Caribbean yam pie is delectable and flooded with the taste so good! Give a new definition to yam with this classic Caribbean pie on the table. Do give it a try for sure!
Well, if you are in the mood for something healthy as well as sweet then there is no better idea than the Southern stovetop yam candied recipe! This is a brilliant dish that leaves you tempted for more!
Sprinkled with cheese, herbs, and nuts, the Gjelina roasted yam is an extraordinary recipe that is perfect to enjoy as an appetizer. The thin slices with a sense of creaminess leave one asking for more and more until none is left on the plates. You will be amazed to find your kids enjoying it too!
The traditional easy Thanksgiving recipe is right here to make your occasion even more fantastic and fun-filled. Topped with marshmallows, a bite of it will surely render you a sense of warmth.
If you are in the mood to try out something unique and rich then the white yam stew is wonderful and topped with cream and gravy so gorgeous! Bell pepper, tomatoes, and coconut milk create wonders upon taste buds.
The Jamaican yellow yam stew is the most fascinating recipe of all! The smooth and enriching presence of coconut milk gives it a special touch of finesse! The creamy broth of the stew is something that deserves admiration and every word of praise.
Gluten-free and healthy, the caramelized yam is served with smokey toasted marshmallows on top and tastes so good! Served with brown sugar and butter, the yams are ready to adorn that table on a festive day!
Smooth and flavorful, the mashed yam for Thanksgiving is a wonderful creation with luxurious butter and seasoning! Delicious and creamy, the mashed yam tastes so good indeed! This is indeed a great idea which you can serve as a side dish.
Are you in the mood for a party? Well, then the baked bourbon candied yam recipe is ideal to go with a glass of wine on the sides. Healthy and refreshing, you are definitely going to love this idea as an appetizer!
12. Yam fries
Crispy, light, and healthy! The Yam fries are perfect to replace French fries if you are not in the mood for the same! We mean, it can get boring to munch on the same kind of fries every day so here is a brand-new experience for your taste buds.
Sweet and savory, the candied yams are absolutely amazing recipe that is flooded with the goodness of maple syrup! What a fantastic creation to make the fall season even more exciting!
Are you planning to cook a vegetarian taco recipe? Then you must include yam in it! Healthy and nourishing, the taste of the tacos is highly sumptuous making it a great source of delight for the vegan dieters. You must try and find out about its magnificence too!
The crispy yam wedges are taken another step ahead with the sweet and spicy essence of the seasoning and glaze. If you like to enjoy something crunchy and refreshing then the yam wedges are perfect to enjoy as appetizers to the meal.
The candied yams are served in a jiffy if you know how to make it in a crockpot! So are you ready to learn? Well, it is no tough job and for a quick and healthy treat, this is in fact the best that one can indulge in.
The baked yam with veggie stuffing is delicious and loaded with seasonings too! You will not be able to believe with your own eyes how marvelous the baked yams can taste!
Well, you simply can not run out of ideas when we are talking about yam! Make your vegan diet even more delicious and exciting with the Miso oven-glazed yams on display! Let us know how it tasted!
The holiday yams are perfect with a crumbly pecan top! Marinated with brown sugar, the recipe is super easy to emulate and flooded with flavors so good. If you are in the mood for something nice, then make it over Thanksgiving!
If you are in the mood for a dose of refreshing and crumbly baking then the yam bread is the most amazing recipe of all! Fresh and tasteful, this is a wonderful creation loaded with a sweet and savory essence.
1. What is the method of cooking yam?
Yam is prepared in different ways which include, roasting, mashing, baking, and so on! You can even add them to a curry after roasting or enjoy them in a vegan stew!
2. Does soaking yam in water help?
It is wise for you to soak yam in water as this can remove much of the sogginess from the veggie! Soak in water for a couple of hours as this can release the starch and get it washed away in the water. Then pat it dry with a towel and process it further.
3. Which is better for cooking yam, baking, or boiling?
Boiling retains much of the antioxidants in the yam which is destroyed somewhat while roasting it in high heat. The cell walls are thin out and then the starch is gelatinized further through boiling.
4. Is it alright to soak yam in water overnight?
You may soak yam in water overnight before boiling it to activate the starch! This is effective in removing most of it. You must boil the yam in a vessel where the top is tightly covered with a lid and cooked for twenty minutes.
5. How can you reduce the bitterness of yam?
Yam might have a slightly bitter essence given that it is grown underground but that can be handled well. Baking and boiling help to remove the taste of bitterness effectively.
6. Can you eat yam raw?
You should not eat yams raw as it contains toxic proteins which can be harmful to your stomach if consumed raw.
Bottom Line- Now that you are aware of how to cook yam and the recipes to follow, buy some fresh yam from the supermarket and get started already!