If you are in the supermarket and standing in front of the alley of potatoes wondering which bag to pick then we understand your situation! Choosing the right bag of potatoes is not an easy task! However, we have a guide for you to select the best Russet potato recipes! Here are some tips which you can keep in your mind as you prepare these sumptuous and delicious dishes with potatoes! Honestly saying, there is seldom anyone who does not like potatoes! So if you are looking for a guide to select potatoes then you know where to look.
The concept behind selecting the best russet potatoes
When you are selecting russet potatoes, make sure that the veggies are firm and heavier compared to their size. There should also be no discoloration of spots on the surface of the Russet potatoes. There can be a few eyes but the eyes should not be very deep. These are shallow spots that are often borne on the surface of the Russet potatoes. It is usually textured and rough with some dirt on the surface which can be removed by washing. One of the prime techniques to detect the quality of the potatoes is that the veggies should be firm. In case, the flesh turns spongy and soft, you must know that the potato is prone to getting rotten.
When you are selecting Russet potatoes, there are other factors that need to be taken into consideration as well. The shape of the Russet potatoes must be taken into account as well. The shape should be oval with the ends tapering away! The diameter of each of the potatoes is more or less the same in every case. Sometimes the Russet potatoes are fat but that should not be a problem as long as you roast and cook it well. There is one thing that you must note about Russet potatoes, there should be fewer eyes and spots on the surface of the potatoes. But the presence of shallow eyes does not affect the taste of the russet potatoes. The surface of the skin should be smooth and does not have any discoloration like green or black spots. You should not wash them immediately when they are bought! Right before you cook, you can scrub the surface and remove the dirt to get it ready for the process.
Potatoes are a part of a staple dish all around the world. If you are planning to make it this week or on a busy day, then the potatoes need to be chosen carefully. From frying to baking and so on, the options are simply endless! If you are not in the mood for meat, do not worry, there are a plethora of options that you can create with potatoes. But do you know the right way to select potatoes, here is what you need to keep in mind.
1. Picking ripe and healthy potatoes- as you visit the supermarket, there will be so many potatoes that will be left in the trays, it is up to you to select the healthy potatoes, but do you do so? Squeeze the potatoes to see the firmness of the tubers. The potatoes should not be squishy and soft when you squeeze them! As a result, when you do so, the potatoes should remain firm. Softness is the first indication that the potatoes are getting bad and you should not purchase them.
2. Then you need to check for cuts and blemishes- if there are cuts and blemishes on the surface of the skin then these areas are zones from which the bacteria and the microbes can enter. So make sure you avoid purchasing such potatoes which bear cuts and blemishes. Look for cuts and blemishes so you can choose from them. This way you will be able to store the potatoes for a long time without most of them getting rotten.
3. Smell the potatoes before you buy them- here is another indicator that you must keep in mind. There will be an earthy smell which these tubers shall smell off! This is because potatoes are grown underground. But there should be no unusual smell in the potatoes other than the faint soil fragrance. Do not opt for sprouting potatoes unless you are planning to eat them immediately. The eyes are often dug out when the potatoes are cleaned and chopped for cooking. Potatoes will sprout soon and you need to eat them within a day or two under such circumstances. Similarly, you should not buy wrinkled potatoes. This can be indicative of a lack of moisture and nutrients or mishandling. Avoiding such potatoes should be the best option.
4. Avoid having potatoes with green skin- there are several other factors that you need to take into consideration as we said while you choose the best potatoes for your meal! Never opt for potatoes where the skin is turning greenish! It is another indicator of rotting. Potatoes cultivated with solanine can turn green due to heavy exposure. This chemical has the potential to cause several problems in your body including gastrointestinal discomfort, diarrhea, and hallucinations. If only a small portion of a greenish hue is observed you can remove it by chopping off the section but if the entire potato shows a sign of a greenish tinge then it is better to discard this one.
5. Don't opt for potatoes with dark spots and cuts- dark spots and bruises are often removed before the potatoes are cooked hence it is best to buy ones without such bruises and cuts. These flaws give an unappealing touch to the potatoes and we are sure you will not want that! Blight and fungal infection can cause black marks on the surface of the potatoes while bruises are signs of mishandling. Avoid such potatoes if you wish to enjoy a healthy and tasty potato recipe.
6. You must choose starchy potatoes for dry and oil-based cooking- potatoes with more starch absorb a lot of fluid and tend to fall apart in soup and stews! However, these are best when cooked in oil for frying. Baking and roasting are other methods that can be applied to starchy potatoes. Starchy potatoes can also be mashed and served with herbs and sour cream. Russet potatoes are highly starchy and cooked in a similar way!
Here are some russet potato recipes that we have collected exclusively for you! Get your Russet potatoes out of the basket and start off!
Delicious Russet Potato Recipes: 20 Easy Ideas for the Perfect Dish
Crispy outside and tender inside, the roasted Russet potatoes are chopped into small cubes in this recipe and then handsomely drizzled with herbs and seasonings. The starter to your meal is ready in a jiffy!
Hasselback potatoes are not only tasty but so appealing to look at! You need Russet potatoes to make the dish and if you have bought a bag of them recently, you know which recipe to follow. So shall we begin then?
The recipe for Melting potatoes also sounds fancy, it is pretty easy for one to make! Comforting, crispy, and flavorful, this is an excellent creation that you simply cannot miss out on. Soaked in chicken broth, you should give it a try for sure.
Are you tired of the same old French fries then perhaps it is time to replace it with something new and flavorful! Here is a recipe for potato wedges served with a baked garlic parmesan layer on top! The perfect dose of a cheesy and comforting treat!
There is nothing as good as the classic parmesan-crusted potatoes which are super easy to make and the perfect way to begin your meal! Imagine having a feisty conversation with your partner while munching on these potatoes with cheese! Yes, that is exactly what we are talking about!
So if you think potato skin is useless then here we are to change your notion. The recipe scoops the flesh from the inside and roasts the outside skin with cheese and herbs! We can guarantee, you haven't tried something like this before.
The Hasselback potatoes are simply the most outstanding idea that you can create with Russet potatoes! Stuffed with cheese, cream, and herbs, this is a sheer source of bliss in every bite.
The roasted Russet potatoes are simply lovely! Whether you are craving something light and easy to munch on in the middle of the day or with a movie, this recipe shall be your constant companion. Shall we try it then?
Do you like potatoes with cheese and herbs but in a different style? Well, the Melting potatoes recipe is then meant for you. Soaked in gravy, this dish calls for special attention and admiration as it is displayed on the table.
Super addictive and absolutely irresistible, you should try out the crispy potato wedges sprinkled with shredded cheese and handsomely drizzled with herbs! This is an excellent idea that leaves you craving more and more. All you need are ten minutes to get it done with perfection!
The sweet and savory recipe of roasted potatoes with bacon strips is a great crowd-pleaser! Flooded with the taste of herbs and the right amount of seasoning, the succulent meaty treat shall be ready to adorn the table in less than half an hour.
The air fryer potatoes are so easy to make indeed! All you need are a couple of minutes before your dinner so you can munch on something nice and light on the sides. Sprinkled with paprika, the hint of spices is subtly felted in every bite.
The name is rightly given to the dish as instead of throwing away the potato skin we have turned it into something really gorgeous! There is bacon, sour cream, and cheddar in the pockets which are roasted to taste so divine.
Here comes another exotic recipe with cheese and bacon! Hasselback potatoes are delightful to make during a party to serve as appetizers. This is an exciting idea that leaves one tempted for more and more.
Here is a gluten-free recipe for Russet potato salad that you can enjoy as much as you want! Prepared with celery, mustard, and mayonnaise, be ready for a creamy treat. Drizzled with paprika and parsley, your dish is ready!
Making scalloped potatoes is very easy and flooded with the taste of gooey cheddar cheese and herbs! Delicious and filling, you can have it as a side dish for your main course. If you haven't tried scalloped potatoes before then do give it a try right away!
Here come the easy-peasy parmesan potato stacks that are super rich in flavor and ready in just a jiffy! The thinly sliced potatoes are drizzled with herbs and garlic to give them a taste of uniqueness.
The twice-loaded baked potatoes are another extraordinary creation with cream and herbs in abundance. Applewood bacon with sour cream is a match made in heaven. This is the source of ultimate creamy delight! Shall we try it then?
The recipe of creamy Parmesan with potato gratin is another wonderful idea that leaves one swayed off their feet at every bite! If you do not believe us, then you have to try it out on your own to find out! Tell us how it goes.
The friendship between potatoes and cheese is pretty ancient and we are indeed in its favour! The delicious ranch potatoes are lovely to describe in a word. You must give it a try for sure!
1. How do you pick the best Russet potatoes from the market?
In order to choose good quality Russet potatoes from the store, you need to check a couple of parameters! These include the texture of the potatoes which should be tough! There should be no black spots or greenish zones as well.
2. Which is the best variety of Russet potatoes?
If you are standing in front of an alley of Russet potatoes in the supermarket and wondering which one to pick then go for the Idaho Russet. These are ideal for baking, roasting, and making fries.
3. What are the qualities that you need to check before you buy Russet potatoes?
The potatoes should be dry and firm! If the Russet potatoes are spongy then they are probably about to rot! You should opt for potatoes with minimal eye buds.
4. What is the secret to making Russet potatoes?
Potatoes should first be stored in a cool and dry place away from moisture if you wish for them to last long enough. You should not store the Russet potatoes in the refrigerator as this can make the starch in the potatoes turn to sugar and in turn, make them taste too sweet! Such potatoes will rot very soon and darken with time.
5. Why are Russet potatoes called the best?
Chefs like to cook with Russet potatoes. This is because it is a variety of potato which is long and oblong in shape. Making fries or Hasselback is much easier with such potatoes.
Bottom Line - Well, that is a lot of discussion about Russet potatoes but now no more. Now follow the recipe we have provided above and choose your favorite to make over the next meal. Good luck!