For those of you who simply do not eat cookies for the sake of it, here is something for you to learn about! Cookies are simply not the sides with tea or any sort of beverage! They hold an eminent position in the bakery world! And we demand you to respect them for what they truly are! In this article, we will discuss Italian cookie recipes and their origin! And with the tips and recipes that we share with you after that, you can make them anytime at home.
Making cookies is an art that was mastered by the Italian-American bakery long back during the period of the 1800s. Whether marzipans or cannoli, after the immigrants from Italy settled down in parts of New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and so on, the influence of Italian cuisine was felt deeply by the Americans. From traditional recipes to simple ones, everyone was happy to emulate the culture and bring a blend between the two.
If you ever tried cannoli at home then you would know why cannoli and fruits have more impact as a dessert than pastries. Italians loved to head to the bakery to get wonderful treats during the holidays. So when the immigrants shifted to America, they wanted to keep this tradition alive. Around the cities of the East Coast, several stores came up rather quickly. From handcrafted mozzarella to cookies, everything was available in these stores run by the Italians who prepared their goods mostly at home. Other Italians and Americans flocked into the stores and shops looking for items that blended the two cultures. The concept of shops coming up was well received by the dwellers and promoted too.
However, the glorious days did not last long! There were a couple of detrimental factors which lead the bakeries downhill in the kind of cookies they made.
First of all, Italy had a large variety of cookies but the immigrants did not make a lot of them frequently in the bakeries. And the reason behind that was that only a couple of them would sell while the rest wouldn't! So the immigrants picked the popular choices only while the offbeat ones were slowly forgotten. Moreover, the price of the items and the labor cost also increased with time and hence the options were also limited.
What stood out and could beat all the odds, stayed among the masses and remained till date! Can you guess which one it is that we are talking about? Yup, the crumbly and soft biscotti.
Let's learn some history of the Italian cookies
Now that we have already learned which are the popular cookies that stood out among the rest, let's discuss them in detail.
1. Biscotti- this is to be noted that Biscotti dates back to the time of the ancient Roman Empire where these served as durable and long-lasting treats for the Roman Legions. The modern recipe was created in 1858 by baker Antonio Mattei of the Tuscan city of Prato. These are crunchy and not very sweet. However, quite a refreshing idea for cookie lovers.
2. Rainbow cookies- these cookies are somewhat soft and moist so it is not a good idea to store them for long! Instead, you should buy or bake them, whichever you want, and consume them right away! These originated as a combination of Italian and American traditions.
3. Butter cookies- these are rather a Scandinavian variety of cookies which has little association with Italy yet since the cookies somewhat resemble the Italian baking tradition, they are described as a blend of Italian-American culture.
4. Pignoli cookies- these are a form of nutty cookies which seem to have originated in Sicily. Since the best quality pine and nut trees are found in the forests surrounding this region, it is natural that these sorts of nutty cookies will be common in the place.
5. Sesame biscuits- these semolina flour biscuits adorned with sticky sesame are another famous recipe that traces back its origin to Sicily again. It also showcases a strong influence of Arab flavors.
6. Nut meringues - these are simple nut-loaded cookies from Italy with a crunchy and crispy taste. Also known as Brutti ma Buoni, it comes from Gavirate, a small northern Italian town just outside Milan. It is assumed that they were produced by Constantino Veniani, the owner of the eponymous Pasticceria Veniani in 1878.
So that is more or less what you needed to know about Italian cookies and about their origin! But now it is time for you to quickly go through the tips! These will help you to make your cookies perfect during the holiday season. So shall we?
Quick tips for perfecting your Italian cookies
1. Do not overwork your dough- it is fun and satisfying to knead the dough! Blend the ingredients in the batter and keep doing it until smooth! If you have to stop at some point, don't you? You can't continue to blend after smooth or the gluten will get activated and render the cookies tough when they are baked. It seems a satisfying thing to do but you have to reduce the urge to continually knead and roll the dough.
2. Cream the butter well- you may think that it is a casual and minor step in making the dough for the cookies but contrary to what you think, creaming the butter is an essential step that must be considered with importance. The butter traps some air bubbles as you whisk it with sugar ( creaming the butter) and these trapped air bubbles will help your cookies rise and become flaky. Creaming majorly affects the texture of these cookies and you must keep that in mind.
3. All ingredients must be present at room temperature - you are not making a pie! You are baking cookies! You can not add cold ingredients to your bowl or the texture will be lumpy and difficult to blend. Eggs should be present at room temperature to allow the cookies to rise later while butter too should not be hard and lumpy or you will find it difficult to cream it. The same rule applies to all the ingredients that you will be using to make your cookies.
4. Allow the dough to cool down to prevent excess spreading - you can prevent your cookies from spreading too much on the baking tray with the aid of simply cooling the dough in the refrigerator for an hour or so. And then bake them fine!
Delicious Italian Cookie Recipes: Your Guide to Classic Italian Baked Treats
If you want your cookies to turn out crumbly and be healthy even during the diet then here is a perfect gluten-free idea for you! The all-time classic Amaretti cookies.
How can we miss out on the best of the lot? The traditional Italian butter cookies are exactly what you need! Dipped in liquid chocolate and served with sprinkles, you can make them with tea in the evening and enjoy them to your fullest.
Yup, we are talking about the gorgeous Italian cookies which not only taste so good but are a great treat to the eyeballs as well. The rich ricotta cheese flavor is palpable in every bite! So make sure you do not miss out on this one.
Do you know what is the best thing about Italy? The options for cookies are simply endless! Here is another recipe for the Italian lemon knot cookies which are indeed a great treat for the taste buds.
The cannoli cookies are regarded as the holiday cookies which are prepared during Christmas, Thanksgiving, and so on! The trick to making them is very simple and ideal for beginners as well. So go for it right away!
How can we miss out on the outstanding and luxurious Italian chocolate cookies? They are indeed the best! One bite of this cookie will make it impossible for you to resist. So are you ready to indulge in its blissful taste?
Gooey and crumbly, there are never enough words to describe its magnificence! So if you are making it for the first time, be ready to be carried off your feet. And believe us we are not even exaggerating a bit! Shall we then?
Healthy and nutty, the Italian walnut cookies are fantastic and so easy to make in fact! Relish them with a warm beverage on the sides or serve with milk to the little ones in the morning or before they head to bed.
Smeared with rich cream on top, the orange ricotta cookies are absolutely mind-blowing! The zestful orangish essence with creamy cheese forms a great pair indeed. So are you ready to bake them this weekend if you are free? Let's go!
Here is another work of art! The Italian waffle cookies are simply lovely and loaded with great taste. Crispy and delicious, you are definitely going to fall in love with the treat! Enjoy with a rich chocolate dip or cream cheese on the side.
The combination of lemon and almond is simply lovely and we will prove it to you with the cookie recipe that is right here. Try out the gorgeous treat this holiday season and let us know how this turns out to be.
Well, why not try out something rich and exciting with an Italian cookie recipe? Here is a recipe for sprinkle wedding cookies which are quite a refreshing idea to win one's heart in the first bite. Try it out for sure.
Here is another extraordinary recipe that you will be delighted to make this season! The Italian fig cookies are loaded with great flavors and are indeed called the best! If you wish to explore something new and unique then go for this idea without any doubt.
Dusty and smooth, the Amaretti cookies are an all-time classic that you would surely not like to miss out on. You must have seen these cookies behind the shiny glasses of the bakery but now it is time for you to make them at home.
It is the shape of the cookies that makes them look so unique! The recipe is simple and if you haven't tried them before, do give it a try this week. Comforting and effortless, these cookies are pretty hassle-free.
Ah, simply lovely! You will definitely thank us later for the idea once you give it a try! Rich and gooey, these cookies are the perfect definition of sophistication and classy touch! Let's make them this time.
If you never tried Italian doughnuts before then all we can say is that you are missing out on something really nice! And how can we let that happen? So we listed the recipe here! So what are you waiting for?
Another vibrant and tender cookie all the way from Italy, you will definitely fall in love with the treats! Make these a surprise for the little ones and see how delighted they will be! Try to fill a large jar because rest assured the demands will be high.
Nothing is as great as lemon cookies in comparison! So we have this brilliant recipe for you right here! Do not miss out on this time. Zestful and enriching in every bite, bake them right away!
We would like to end it with the Italian pistachio cookies! These are quite the fancy batch and call for you to prepare them if you are a true cookie lover. So are you ready to indulge in them?
1. How can you make your cookies tender and fluffy?
If you want your cookies to rise in order to become flaky and light then the best way to ensure that is with the proper creaming of butter! You need to add eggs at room temperature so that the cookies are fluffy and smooth!
2. Why did my cookies turn out to be chewy and tough?
If your cookies turn out hard then the reason may be that you overworked the dough! That is something which you should steer away from! Rolling and kneading for too long is detrimental to the texture of the cookies.
3. How do you make your cookies taste the best?
Always stick to the required amount of ingredients as it is mentioned in the recipe! Be precise with the measurements or you will end up with a taste and texture that you did not expect.
4. Why are my cookies spreading so much?
If you observe that your cookies are spreading too much then that may be due to excess fluid items in the dough! You need to place the dough in the refrigerator for a while so that it tightens up and the liquid is absorbed.
5. How long should you let your cookie dough chill in the refrigerator?
You should let your cookie dough sit in the refrigerator for about an hour so that the cookies do not spread on the baking tray.
6. How long should you bake your cookies?
Depending on the recipe you are following, the timer should be set accordingly but always set it five minutes less so you do not overbake.
In conclusion, Italian cookie recipes are a delicious way to add something special to your dessert repertoire. From traditional classics like biscotti and amaretti to the lighter flavors of gianduja and panna cotta, the variety of these cookies is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. With a few simple steps, you too can bring the secrets of Italian cookies into your own kitchen and share the joy with your family and friends.
When it comes to creating memorable desserts, Italian cookie recipes are the way to go. As renowned chef Fabio Viviani once said, "The best memories are made around the kitchen table,” and with these Italian recipes you're sure to create plenty of them. Start making your own Italian cookies today and get ready to experience the secret to delicious desserts.