Pies are lovely, aren't they? No matter which occasion you are celebrating, pies are always the perfect dessert. But making the pie right is an art that not all of us are aware of! What can be done? Do not worry! We have these awesome recipes and tips which will ensure that you come up with the best set of holiday pies in the neighborhood! Yes, you heard it right! You do not know the art of making pies does not mean you never can! Let's not wait any more time in ranting as there is so much to learn yet!
Tips and hacks for making the best holiday pies in the world
1. The ingredients must be cold-
If you are making pies at home for the first time, then you might not be aware but ingredients must be kept cold as they are blended together. Do not allow the butter to melt! In fact, it should be stored in the refrigerator until the moment comes to use it. You even need ice-cold water to make the mixture for the pies.
2. After every step of processing, you should place the dough in the refrigerator - you are expected to wrap and chill the dough the moment it is blended well. You need aluminum foil to do the job. This enables the flour to absorb all the liquid well. After every step, the dough should be placed in the refrigerator so it remains cold up to the moment you put it inside the oven. The crust needs to be refrigerated as well! Use parchment paper for lining the crust so they do not crumble and break.
3. Be very careful with the dough of the pie- Try and patch the breaks and the crooks in the dough instead of re-rolling the whole thing! Too much handling of the dough can make your pies tough and that is something we are sure you do not desire. Always remember to use as little as possible, the flour, as you roll the dough with a pin! This must be noted that dough is capable of absorbing flour and the more you sprinkle it while rolling, the higher your chances to end up with a tough and rough pie! You may use a pastry brush to dust the excess flour from the surface of the dough once it is rolled. You may even use a clean paper towel to do the job.
4. Now it is time to think about the crust of the pie - you are expected to bake at a high temperature and then gradually reduce the temperature as the pie bakes in the oven. This is the general rule which is followed for making almost all pies. However, it is a great idea if you can pre-bake the crust in case of quiches, custard pies, and cream pies.
5. How do you vent double-crust pies- you can use a decorative cutter to make slits at the top of the pie! This gives some space for the pie to vent the hot steam or air which has accumulated within. Fruits that have high moisture content tend to release more steam that gets trapped inside the pie! The ideal thing to do is vent the steam with the aid of a slit in the crust.
6. You can use an aluminum foil or pie shield to protect the crust from crumbling- if the baking session is too long then you can prevent the crust from getting too brown and crumbly! Use foil to wrap the edges of the pie. This is an effective measure that you can take to ensure your crust turns out perfectly golden but not brownish and burnt.
7. The lowest level of the oven is ideal to make the pies- the crust might turn out to be too soggy and you can prevent that from happening if you choose the right rack. The bottoms get cooked well and hence you get a pie that has the perfect crust and fruity filling too. For baking pies, the bottom racks are always chosen as the best option. Make sure you remember it the next time you are baking pies at home!
8. Allow your pies to bake long enough- fruit pies, especially, need a longer time to bake! This is because the filling needs to boil and bubble when it is being made. However, if we are talking about custard pies, then they need to be tackled with care, you should not exceed the given time! Overbaking can burst them open. You can insert a knife from the center to check whether the crust and the filling are ready! If the knife comes out clean, it is also time for the pie to be brought out of the oven.
9. Allow the pie to cool down before adorning the table- you should never take a pie to the table the moment it is made. Pies should be allowed to cool down before it is served to the guests. The filling inside boils and bubbles in the oven and once they are brought out, the pie should be allowed to settle down as the filling needs to get cold! Otherwise, the pie will be too runny and that is not something, we are guessing, you want! Hence the best thing to do about pies is to make them ahead of time. This way you can refrigerate your pie giving it ample time to cool down. If your family prefers warm pies, then you can bring them out about an hour before and then heat them in an oven for about fifteen to twenty minutes. But make sure that the oven is preheated at 300°F.
- How to adorn your pies- you can use shrimp, crimps, and braids to design your pies! Remember that baking is a creative cooking session and especially with pies you have to use your creative cells in the brain. You may use some extra dough to give shapes and patterns on the pie crust and hide the cracks in case of pumpkin pies! For example, if it is the season of falls, then you can opt for leafy cutouts while Christmas calls for reindeer and gingerbread man patterns. You can use a knife to make the shapes and cutouts, then brush with egg wash and bake under 375°F. This takes about fifteen minutes and then adorns your pies beautifully.
A dollop of whipped cream or some pecan crumbs is lovely to give a brand-new form to your homemade holiday pies.
Let's find out about some amazing holiday pies!
Delicious Holiday Pie Recipes: Easy and Unforgettable Desserts
Crumbly and flavorful, the oatmeal pies are delicious and loaded with flavors of honey, maple, and pecan! Served with a dollop of ice cream on top, preferably vanilla or caramel, then you should give it a try!
The delectable and luxurious cream pie with pudding and gingerbread essence is lovely and you should opt for this one! Enriching and creamy, this is a recipe, definitely made to fall in love with. Shall we try it then?
Drizzled with chocolate chips, the Kentucky Derby pie is a fantastic idea that leaves you craving more! Smooth and enriching, the pie can be served at the end of the meal to make your Sunday brunch even more amazing and wholesome!
The classic Dutch apple pie is incredibly good and renders you with a sense of contentment of bliss! All we can say is that if you haven't tried it yet then you are majorly missing out on something divine for the holidays!
The criss-cross berry pies indeed bring a sense of nostalgia! Smooth and bursting with flavors, the recipe is not only a treat to the eyes but also to the taste buds. Make this holiday season special with berry pies.
The idea for French chocolate silk pie is right here to render your taste buds with the ultimate sensation of outstanding flavors. Indeed it must be called silk, given the gorgeous taste of the pie which stands out among all!
You can't enjoy and conclude a Christmas brunch without a pie to call a meal! Here we have the outstanding cream pie which looks exactly like a dream come true for the pie lovers. Shall we try it then?
The Holiday hand pies are shaped like Christmas trees or reindeer or any other entity customized to the season! Rich and gooey, you can serve these small bite-sized appetizers in the evening with tea as the guests come over. Go for it right away!
The smooth and rich peanut butter pies take only about less than an hour to come alive! The best part about the pie is that it is vibrant and so colorful. The kids will be delighted to help you with adorning this one!
The oatmeal cream pie is super crumbly and has sandwich icing inside! Perfect to enjoy with milk for breakfast, adults, and kids, none will be ready to give up their share. That's how good these healthy pies turn out to be!
Welcome the season of spring with this bewitching pie to accompany you during the round of desserts after brunch! Topped with berries and filled with tangy sauce, this pie recipe is indeed a sheer sense of magnificence along with the most incredible flavors.
The combination of Cranberry and orange in this recipe for custard pie is lovely to greet a new season! Bursting with the zesty essence of citrus, thank us later for this amazing idea! The perfect source of bliss we must say!
13. Eggnog cream pie
The delicious eggnog cream pie is flooded with flavors so enriching! Delectable and gooey, you are definitely going to fall in love with the rich eggnog whipped cream-adorned pie in your first bite. So are you ready to make it this holiday season?
Fluffy, light, and flaky, the coconut cream pie is another wonderful recipe that you will regret missing out on! So delectable that it melts in your mouth the moment you take a bite. Do not waste a minute and make it right away!
The rich and gooey caramel apple pie is another classic for the holidays! Delectable and creamy, make the pecan streusel this weekend, and serve it to the guests if you are calling them over for tea in the evening! Such a great idea!
The pecan pie is enriched with the smoothness of brown butter and gooey chocolate, the pie gets a brand-new definition. Let's not waste a single minute as the Thanksgiving holidays are almost running out!
The brilliant shade of pink cherry frosting and chocolate chips makes you drool at the pie at the very first bite. Delicious and super easy, even beginners will not find it hard working on this dish! Such an excellent idea indeed!
The gorgeous chocolate pecan pie is lovely and you should give it a try for sure! Smooth bourbon-rich pecan pie is a wonderful creation that renders you with the ultimate delight. Drizzled with chocolate chips, the amazing pie is ready to adorn the table!
19. S'mores pies
The S'mores pie is a classic option with the season of the Thanksgiving holiday around the corner. Topped with the right cream over a crumbly crust, there is no way you should miss out on this one! We all have s'mores in the house during the holidays so go ahead and make this pie.
If you are craving for that warm and fuzzy feeling of the holidays then the cranberry pear homemade pie is the ideal option you have got! The crust looks like exactly a braided plait!
1. Which is the best way to make the pie crust?
If you do not want your pie crust to turn completely brownish then you should cover it with foil or a parchment paper. Allow the pie to bake for about twenty minutes at 350°F.
2. What makes the pie crust hard?
If you overwork the crust, then the pie tends to be tough. Over-handling the crust is the ideal way to deal with it. You should prevent yourself from rolling the dough with the pin too much!
3. What is the technique to keep your pie moist?
If you want the pie to be moist and crumbly then you should go ahead and brush it with egg wash! It also gives the pie a distinguished glaze.
4. How can you prevent your pie from turning soggy?
If you are looking for a way to prevent the pie from turning soggy then you must sprinkle it with dried breadcrumbs. You can also opt for crushed flakes whichever is available in the house.
5. What is the main thing that you must avoid while making pie crust?
You should never work with warm ingredients! In the case of pies, all your ingredients should be chilled first! Even in between all the steps of processing, you should allow the dough to continuously sit in the refrigerator and turn cold. This way it remains cold until it gets into the refrigerator!
6. How long should you allow the pie dough to rest?
Ideally, a pie dough should be allowed to rest for fifteen to thirty minutes.
It's time to get out the rolling pins and mixing bowls and get baking! Whether you're a novice or an experienced pie-maker, we hope these recipes inspire you to make pies that will keep your family coming back for more. As an added bonus, the holidays are a great opportunity for baking together and creating lasting memories. This Thanksgiving, Christmas, and beyond, let's remember the importance of making time to come together around the table and enjoy some delicious homemade pie!
So, let's get baking! Let's make memories – and let's make pie!