Held around the open tailgate of the vehicles, the occasion calls for you to indulge in making and consuming delicious smoky meat, beverages, and so on. The United States and Canada are the most popular regions of the world where the concept of the tailgate was established and promoted. From alcoholic beverages to barbeque meat, there is something or the other in the hands of the visitors. It is a social event where games, festivals, and fairs are organized with kids and adults, people from all age groups. If you are visiting one this season, then it is a great idea to learn to make dips! These come quite in handy and everyone will definitely show up at your stall! Let's learn the basic tips and healthy dip recipes to make them! Let's go!
Even if your vehicle does not have a tailgate, you can still join the tailgate party! The guests are expected to bring some food and beverage as they come along! Everyone shares the items that are brought and has a great time. Stadiums are the common spots where these tailgate events are organized and no one is allowed to sell their food but to generously offer them to one another. These are often regarded as the pre-game events, right before a football match or hockey, baseball, and so on!
What are the common food and drinks that are served?
A tailgate event mainly comprises drinks and alcoholic beverages! To keep them company, there is grilled meat which is also served. Side dishes such as dips and salads are also kept so that everyone can enjoy and fill themselves up. If you have planned for a picnic before then you know exactly what to do for the tailgate event! The dishes are more or less the same. Pimento cheese and various dips are served as well. Fried seafood dishes also make it to the event! So you can more or less realize how wonderful these events turn out to be!
Even in schools and colleges, tailgate parties are organized after a big match, an annual game of events. Everyone looks up to this day so they can indulge in socializing with one another. The voluntary participation of parents is also encouraged and appreciated by the organizers!
So, if you are wondering, why is it called a tailgate?
In Virginia, the concept of tailgating is very famous right before the football match! Fans collect four to five hours before the event to have a great time and keep the match spirits high. $12 billion are invested by the 50 million tailgaters every year. Yes, that is true! Intriguing, isn't it?
The concept of tailgating dates back to the time of the Civil War. Started at the 1861 Battle of Bull Run in the American Civil War when civilians from both sides gathered with picnic baskets to watch the battle, the tradition has lived on. How it got converted to become a match tradition is something which we aren't sure about but have several theories. Some think that matches in Ivy League schools attracted several parents and spectators and eventually they would lack the space to park their cars! Thus they came up with the idea to come early and join the queue! They would get some food along to keep themselves company as they waited for the match to begin.
Some are also of the opinion that families who attended church together, ate together right afterward and then they would head to watch a baseball game. This idea was derived in the 1900s. Perhaps the most believable concept dates back to the days when fans had to travel by train for a long duration to reach the stadium. As there would be no vendors during that day, they had to naturally carry some food along. However, no matter what was the reason or history behind the evolution of the popular culture of tailgating, this is something the Americans consider as vital as the match itself.
Here are some tips that you can follow while making a healthy and yummy dip for the tailgate event!
1. Use Neufchatel cream cheese- the only difference between the standard cream cheese and Neufchatel cream cheese is the fat content between the two! The fat content is indeed ⅓ less than what is present in the former. The taste and fragrance, texture, and consistency are so similar that you will hardly notice the difference when you add it to your dip.
2. Replace meat with veggies- if you are making a dip that calls for you to indulge in red meat then substitute it with veggies like mushrooms and eggplant instead.
3. Replace mayo or sour cream with low-fat plain Greek yogurt- if your dip consists of cheese, then there is already enough fat in the dish and there is no need for you to add more! Instead of using mayo or sour cream, you can go ahead with low-fat Greek yogurt instead. It is enriched in proteins and hence a great idea too!
4. Veggies can be consumed as dippers- instead of munching on oily crackers and nachos, you can opt for veggies as dippers! From cucumber to zucchini, cauliflower, and broccoli, the options are simply endless. Indulge in healthy instead of careless snacks.
5. If consuming crackers, then opt for whole grain ones- if you find the tailgate event boring without crackers and dips then we will not ask you to stay away from it! Try out the crackers and bread which are composed of whole grains and mainly baked instead of being fried. This way you can include fibres and vitamins in your snacks as well. If you can not avoid consuming carbs then at least make sure you have something healthy along with it.
6. Use milk that is low in fat- skim milk is the best option if you are looking for low-fat milk. If there is already cheese in your dip, then you have enough fat in the dip to make it creamy and gooey! So you can easily indulge in a low-fat milk option.
7. Always opt for more and more veggies- like we said, the more veggies, the better! These also add a sense of crispiness and flavor to every bite. If you thought that you can not have veggies in your dip then you were actually missing out on something great indeed.
8. Try to reduce the content of cheese in your dip- if you are opting for a healthy dip idea then go ahead and reduce the cheese content! There are several other low-fat ingredients that you can take into account if you wish to substitute cheese. Cut down the content of cheese by half or one-third which can be done by removing the shredded cheese used as toppings perhaps.
9. Replace half to one-third of the cream cheese with rice cauliflower- it is to be noted that rice cauliflower is healthy and equally creamy! So if you are removing one-third of the cream cheese in the recipe then you can replace the deficit with rice cauliflower.
Healthy Dip Recipes for Tailgating: Enjoy Delicious Snacks with Your Family
1. Corn dip
Not just creamy but also crispy at the same time! Do not blame us if you finish the whole bowl with crackers while you wait for the match to begin during the lazy Sunday at the stadium.
Packed with loads of cheese and beans, there is no way you will be able to forgive yourself if you miss out on the Texas Trash dip! The perfect combination of beans and cheese, health and indulgence this season.
The delicious Crack corn dip is packed with corn, jalapenos, and cheese! But the surprise isn't over yet! The recipe also adds bacon to the dish and makes your dream of a meaty indulgence come true. Make it and tell us how it was!
4. The Boat dip
There is everything that you need! From sour cream to cheddar cheese and taco seasoning, you are absolutely going to fall in love with the recipe. Packed with Rotel and green chiles, the dip is ready for tailgating.
There is no way you should miss out on the sensational Tik Tok boat dip loaded with flavors so enriching and a texture so gooey. Spread with a dash of seasoning and cheddar cheese with cilantro, the dip is ready to adorn the counter!
A dip that is hot and enriched with the presence of crab? Yes, you heard it right! This seafood dip concept is fantastic and you should give it a try! Being a fan of seafood, it is a criminal offense to leave out on hot crab dip.
You will forget about the entire world with a bowl of cheesy sausage and cheddar dip in your hands. In fact, there is no way we can guarantee how long this one will last.
Here is another outstanding recipe that we are sure you will grow fond of! Packed with fruity pineapple and meaty bacon, the recipe is totally outstanding. So what are you waiting for? Make the dip today!
If you are fond of the spicy edge in your dip then you should go ahead with the best jalapeno popper dip! Perfect to relish with the poppers, the dip is excellent and will leave one craving for more and more.
Ah, lovely! Finally, we came across the extraordinary cream cheese dip which is the showstopper of all! The classic cheesy fiesta ranch dip is delectable, smooth, and rich! So are you ready to experience its bliss? Then make it right away!
Filled with beef, onion, and garlic, the smoky queso dip is gorgeous and simply the ideal one to make and carry for your tailgating event. There is pepper jack, jalapeno, and Rotel as well to make the dip simply outstanding!
Not one but seven freaking layers! Yes, you heard that right! Well, if you did not try this one out yet, then you are simply not living up to the expectations of enjoying awesome dips. Shall we then?
This is rather a unique recipe and so we have decided not to reveal its magnificence yet! You have to follow the recipe, make and find out on your own. Then tell us, if the hype was worth it or not!
Loaded with ham, bacon, and cheese, the surprise of the tempting Hawaiian dip isn't over yet! There are pineapple chunks to enhance the taste of the recipe even more. So if you are bored with the regular dip ideas then you must try out this one!
Indulge in the comforting flavors of the cracked-out corn dip which is an excellent vegan option for the dieters. You can still enjoy the pre-game hype with crackers and dips as a light snack to keep you company throughout.
If you are fond of pimento cheese then this recipe only makes it even better! This dip is ideal to go with crispy chicken nuggets or sausage on the side. The tailgating event is not a success without meat on the go!
You are about to fall in love with the best thing you have tasted in life! Yes, we are talking about the smoked gouda bacon dip which has a massive fan following. So make it right away!
Rich, luxurious, and creamy, the baked feta sausage pepper dip is simply outstanding! Flavorful and gooey, we came across this recipe and knew you would love to try it out. Make it at home for tailgating and tell us how it was!
1. What is the most important thing to note when you make a dip?
The most vital factor that one must keep in mind includes making a dip with proper consistency. If the dip is too runny then the effort goes down the drain.
2. What are dips made of?
There are several things that are included in a dip from cream cheese to milk, yogurt, mayonnaise, soft cheese, and so on. Dips are the stalwart of the tailgating event and you simply can not head to one without the same.
3. Which are some of the dips which go great with nachos?
If you are having nachos and dips for Tailgating event then you should go ahead with beef, taco dips, and so on. Cheddar is also a great idea to indulge in. Other options are sour cream, queso, Greek yogurt dips, and so on.
4. What are some of the side dishes that you can consume with dips at the tailgating event?
5. Which is the best dip for pizzas?
If you are enjoying pizzas at the tailgating event then go ahead with mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, honey, barbeque sauces, and so on.
6. Why are tailgating events celebrated by Americans?
Tailgating events are celebrated by Americans as a pre-game celebration. Everyone gathers to cheer up, and enjoy great food, games, and fairs during the game season!
Tailgating doesn't have to be unhealthy; with a few creative swaps, you can have delicious–and nutritious–dips to enjoy at your next tailgate without sacrificing flavor. Whether you’re whipping up a savory spinach artichoke dip or a sweet and tangy yogurt dip, these recipes prove that “healthy” and “tasty” aren’t mutually exclusive. What’s more, these recipes are easy to make, so you can spend more time cheering on your favorite team and less time in the kitchen. So go ahead, indulge in a dip without guilt–you deserve it! As renowned nutritionist Robert Robinson famously said, “Healthy eating is not about strict dietary limitations, staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it's about feeling great, having more energy, and keeping yourself as healthy as possible.”