If you are not yet aware of what bento means then let us help you out! These are small-portion meals that are packed in boxes with multiple cubicles for a beautiful and light lunch at work! Then why even make it during the holidays? Well, perfect for potlucks and small events, bento boxes come to great use! It is a Japanese iteration that is commonly used in Japan, China, and other Southeast Asian countries. This term is derived from the word biandang which means convenient! And it is indeed true that Halloween bento boxes are a convenient and wholesome meal!
A traditional bento box is made with either rice or noodles, there is a side like a meaty gravy that you can indulge in too! There is also space for pickles and veggies as well! These divider-boxes are usually made with lacquer and contain so much space for multiple options. Green plastic glass or sushi glass is used as a divider so that the curries and the other dishes do not get mixed with each other. A strongly flavored side dish of meat or fish is especially separated by these dividers to maintain neatness. Plastic grass is useful to prevent the growth of bacteria and allow the food to remain fresh for a long time.
The best part about bento boxes is that they are easily available in almost every department store in Japan and now the idea of bento has spread to other parts of the world like America too! You can definitely make them at your home for the kids and your spouses as they head off to work and school. If you have been to a Japanese restaurant in America then you must have observed the mention of the bento box on the menu.
Did you hear about the concept of "picture bento" before? It is a way of adorning the meal in the form of a picture like that of animals, scenery, and so on. Even contests are held in Japan to determine who can create the best bento picture!
Box lunches from Asian countries are now dominating the Western world as well! If you are planning to make bento boxes for Halloween then we can only say that it is the perfect combination of creativity, finesse, and cooking!
The arrival and increase in popularity of the term bento date back to the 12th century! Pretty ancient isn't it? During the Kamakura period, the bento boxes were cooked with dried rice. This was then carried in a box to work and could be consumed with boiled water. Wooden lacquer boxes had shown up during the 16th century and bento was introduced in tea parties as well. Later during the Edo period, the bento culture became highly popular and widespread in all parts of Japan. During those days food was served in wooden bamboo boxes. Later several cookbooks were also introduced to allow everyone to learn the style of making them.
Then in 1885, it was recorded that the first railway bento wrapped in bamboo shoots was sold. Since early schools provided no lunch, this became an option for students, employees, teachers, and so on.
During the Taisho period, the aluminum bento box signified luxury and stylish meals. However, during the period of World War I, these bento boxes were not always encouraged in the school as due to crop failure, the bento boxes denote the presence of wealth. However, again during the 1980s, bentos rose in popularity. But the wooden and metal boxes were replaced with sustainable and inexpensive boxes. With Halloween around the corner, now you can engage in making bento boxes.
In conclusion, we can say that bento boxes are wholesome and balanced meals that you can engage in during small events and gatherings during the Halloween holidays. It consists of starch( which is filled with rice or noodles), and protein filled with meat and fish! There are assorted vegetables and fruits to replenish you with a wholesome diet!
What are the main types of bento boxes?
Bento boxes are prepared in different styles and these are listed as follows-
1. Ekiben- these are bento boxes that are sold in railway stations and come quite in handy! The early workers leaving for work and students find this to be a great option so one can feel wholesome and filled during the day!
2. Hokaben- these are wholesome and hot bento boxes that are filled with rice and curry(a side dish). This is a common option that is found in every store and department shop as well. The concept of Hokaben gained much popularity in States as well.
3. Konbini- here is another easy-peasy bento box that you can enjoy for a meal! You will usually find them at the department stores and a simple meal for one to relish. Available in the convenience store, the Konbini bento box is outstanding and filled with treats for a wholesome meal! And the best part is you can microwave them easily.
4. Jubako- these are stackable bento boxes that you can get when a group of people has gathered. These are quite ornate and are traditional to the Japanese New Year celebration. Such an appealing bento for one to consume during a grand occasion.
5. Kotaku- perfect for gatherings and festivals, the Kotaku bento box is ideal when you have a large group of people gathering in the house. It fits every occasion and every mood!
6. Kyaraben- this is a specialized form of bento that is used for the designing and preparation of the grand event. Usually, a particular character is emulated or designed from anime, manga, or popular video games to display in the bento box.
7. Makunouchi- in this wonderful form of presentation bento is served in a split box manner! Here the rice is served in one part of the box and the side dish is offered on the other half!
8. Oekakiben- this is a type of bento box that depicts beautiful pictures of landscapes and scenery!
If you are making bento boxes for the first time then here are a few useful tips for one to find out!
1. Before you seal the box, allow all the ingredients to cool down- allow all the dishes to reach room temperature before you begin to pack the boxes. Condensation of the steam can rapidly cause the growth of bacteria and destroy the food.
2. Think about the texture as well- you should contrast and combine the different textures like crispy rice balls with soft noodles every time you are making a bento box.
3. Color and appearance of the bento box matter- it is the beauty of the bento box which makes them so attractive and tempting at the same time. Make sure when you are preparing a bento box to allow it to use loads of wonderful hues.
Now let us design some amazing Halloween bento boxes.
Delicious Halloween Bento Box Recipes - Create the Best Treats this Season!
The mummy bento Halloween lunch box is a creative way of serving a yummy treat to the kids! Filled with cheese, fruits, olives, and so on, this is a wonderful creation indeed. Wholesome and adorable, this is an excellent creation to the delight of the kids.
The Halloween bats, monsters, and ghosts are all confined within the bento box! This is such an extraordinary gift for the little ones as they head to school! The kids will be looking forward to lunch break so they can flaunt their Halloween bento boxes.
Make your greens a little more tasteful and delicious with the fun Frankenstein Halloween lunch bento boxes at your disposal! Simple and cozy, you know how to make your work exciting during the Halloween season.
The Halloween bento boxes are delightful and flooded with veggies, meat, and fruits! Delicious and crispy, this is an exciting idea for you to relish this season. Make sure you prepare such an extraordinary treat for the little ones during the holidays.
The Halloween bento lunch box is a wonderful idea which is utterly the most amazing treat if you have work and the kids are heading to school! There is still scope for you to engage in something exciting and joyous with a bento box made at home.
Baby carrots, celery, and peanut butter, this is a magnificent lunches that you can make for the kids to carry as they head to school or on a picnic. Filled with ranch dressing, what a lovely creation it is!
This is a tradition between cute and creepy treats for Halloween! The bento box is filled with treats like monster apples, sausages, and so on. These eyes indeed are so very creepy.
These sandwiches have super easy and flooded flavors! The sandwiches are shaped in the form of pumpkins and are such an exciting idea for one to cherish this season. The gummies to candies, you simply can not resist!
The Halloween bento lunch box is another extraordinary creation that is loaded with all the delightful treats that you can ever imagine! The bento lunch box is an amazing idea if you are planning to do something special for your spouse at work.
The delectable and fun-filled lunchbox in the bento style is perhaps the best thing that you will come across! Delicious and lovely, you are definitely going to love this idea for the holidays. Do give it a try for sure!
A Halloween-inspired school lunchbox is a wonderful idea that is filled with treats for the little ones! Whether they are heading to a picnic or a Halloween costume celebration at school, this is a wholesome and filling lunch that you can pack for them!
If you haven't tried shapes and figures with bento boxes then here is something then here is definitely something that you should not miss out on! These adorable pusheen figures are perfect to convey the aura of sinister charm. Perhaps this cat belongs to a witch!
Here is another super easy bento box that we are sure you will find intriguing and exciting at the same time. Delectable and wholesome, there is absolutely no one who would like to resist this one.
If you are making bento boxes for the first time then there is nothing as good as this option right here for you! The kids will simply be overjoyed as they open the lunch boxes during the school break.
Celebration during the Halloween season just got better with the healthy Halloween lunch box that one can carry to work on a busy day! Refreshing and easy for one to make, you will definitely find this one to be highly pleasing for the taste buds.
The monster Halloween bento box is absolutely the right option if you feel hungry wanting to enjoy something good at work. Pack yourself this monster bento and enjoy it to your heart's content.
Holidays are all about celebration and merriment! But amidst that, you simply can't miss out on the food! The spooky bento box is super easy to make and perfect to pack for tiffin to school as the kids head out. Try it for sure!
There is everyone that you can imagine! From ghosts to monsters and even ninjas, this Halloween bento box is the perfect option for one to indulge in. If you are trying out making bento boxes for the first time in the house then this is perfect.
1. What are the basics for preparing a bento box?
A bento box is made with basic rice or noodles which adds carbohydrates to your meal followed by proteins which are replenished by meat! You can include fruits and veggies for vitamins and minerals too!
2. What is the specialty of a bento box?
The Bento box is packed with rice and meat so that it can be easily called a complete meal! These are fulfilling dishes that are packed with proteins and other essential nutrients.
3. What are some of the good things that you can include in a bento box?
You can include rice or noodles as the main course and keep a meaty side dish to fulfill your needs for lunch! Add some veggies if you want and you are good to go!
4. Can you reheat bento?
It is simple for you to heat bento as the boxes can be reheated and microwaved easily. Never eat food that is cold and brought out of the box! Heating gives them freshness! Plus, reheating kills all sorts of bacteria that may be present in the meal!
5. Why is it called a bento box?
Bento box refers to a compact meal where one gets some rice or noodles with a side dish as well.
6. Where did Bento originate?
Bento was initially founded by the Song dynasty in China and then adapted by the Japanese.
Bottom Line- Hence now you know what exactly we mean by bento and to make one during the Halloween holidays! If you are still heading for work then make the season special with such exciting lunch boxes packed to the office. You can even make them for the little ones.