Well, if you are craving pasta for a while then we have brought something really nice and exotic for you! Did you hear about Gemelli pasta before? Well, you must have with the increased popularity over the year! Gemelli reached the zenith of its glory in 2021 when its sales increased by 457 percent more than usual! Yes, it is true. So if you are wondering if there are any new shapes of pasta that you can try out then Gemelli should top the list. We have penned down an article exclusively for you so you can learn everything that you need to know about Gemelli pasta.
Gemelli in Italy translates to twin. The shape of a Gemelli pasta is more or less similar to that of a DNA. Since it appears as if two strands have coiled over one another the name is provided so! But that is not true! It is a single strand that is twisted and folded over itself to give the appearance of a double-coiled structure. It is the shape and crevices in the Gemelli which enable it to hold the sauces very well and remain marinated within the same.
What is the usage of Gemelli pasta?
If you are tired of fusilli or penne then do not hesitate to go ahead with the Gemelli pasta which shall help you to alter the shapes and experiment with something new. Tomato, meat, or cream sauce, Gemelli is successful in holding the sauces and the tasting is good. The grooves do not allow the sauce and gravy to slip through and as a result, the pasta remains marinated in the same. If you are making a casserole or pasta salad, Gemelli comes to great use.
It doesn't matter whether you are making pasta for the first time all by yourself or you prepare it regularly, there are some tips that always come in handy. So read on!
1. Don't put oil directly on the pasta or the water- you might think that oiling the pasta is great to prevent them from sticking with each other. You can also add oil to water, which is quite a common practice. But contrary to the general instructions that we follow, oiling may not be a great idea! Wondering why? Well, this might always cause the sauce to slip away from the pasta rendering it greasy and tasteless. You do not wish to end up in such a disastrous situation, do you?
2. Fill the pots properly so that the pasta can soak well in the gravy- when the pasta begins to boil, it will need a lot of space to expand! You should always use a big pan so that the strands can freely float about! The amount of water should also be adequate for the same reason. According to the general rule, you should have about three liters of water to boil 250 grams of pasta. Hence you can pretty well understand how much space is essential to boil them properly.
3. Salt your water well- the only way you can season pasta first is by adding some salt to the water. This way the pasta picks up the flavor and later blends well with the sauces too! Allow the pasta to boil in the salt water bath for a while until it is ready! For every three liters of water, you will need one tablespoon of salt.
4. Bring the water to boil rapidly- starch is activated the moment it comes in contact with water and you do want the temperature of the water bath to be adequate so the pasta can begin to absorb the moisture and turn tender. You should allow the water to heat up fast so that it nearly reaches boiling temperature and then you add the pasta. If you add them too soon then they might turn sticky and soggy outside while undercooked inside.
5. Continue to stir throughout boiling- the moment you add the pasta to the water you should begin to stir it. This will prevent the strands from sticking to each other and the sides of the vessel as well. Care must be taken so that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan as well. If you cannot stir continuously then at least stir from time to time.
6. Check the package so you know the time - the time for boiling may vary depending on the manufacturer! You have to check behind the packaging to learn the ideal duration for which the pasta should be allowed to remain in the water bath.
7. Always save some water in which the pasta was boiled- if you throw away the water after boiling then it is a big mistake you are making! Never do that! Remember that this water contains a lot of starch and salt too! Of course, you do not need three liters of water but save some to add to the pasta sauce to make the gravy.
8. Do not drain completely dry- right after the stage of boiling, the next thing we do is throw away the water and drain the pasta to place it on a plate! However, while you drain, do not drain it completely dry! This will activate the starch, allow them to turn firm, and as a result, the pasta strand will stick to each other. That is exactly what you are expected to avoid.
9. Make the sauce first and then the pasta-
You should always keep the gravy and the sauce ready in a large pan and then make the pasta. Immediately after the pasta is boiled and drained, you should add it to the sauce! It should be the sauce first and then the pasta and not the other way round.
10. Add some water to the pasta sauce- once you have dropped the pasta in the sauce, the gravy might turn out to be too thick! Depending on the consistency, you can now add the extra water that you had stored away while draining! This is a liquid that is rich in starch and salt and allows the sauce to adhere to the surface of the pasta even better. Depending on how thick you want the pasta sauce to be, you can add the water accordingly.
Here are some Gemelli pasta recipes that you can try out this season!
Mouth-Watering Gemelli Pasta Recipes - Cook Delicious Dishes Now
Well, if you are making Gemelli for the first time, this is quite a wonderful recipe that you can follow to learn the steps from scratch! Infused with lemon and parmesan, do give it a try for sure!
Here is another wonderful meaty pasta dish that you should definitely try out! The gooey cream and the succulent sausages with a garlicky hint are simply commendable in every bite. Are you ready to indulge in its blissful taste?
Here is a recipe for the delicious and interesting Gemelli pasta with the wonderful presence of caramelized pears and luxurious gorgonzola sauce. There is nothing much to describe except that it is brilliant, the rest you have to find out by yourself!
Served with herbs, veggies, and shredded chicken, the best part about Gemelli pasta is that it can be paired with any seasoning! You should definitely try it out this weekend and let us know how it tastes!
The idea of creamy Gemelli pasta with sausages is always a savior when you are having a busy day and need something quick for dinner. Make your weeknight special with this recipe right away! Shall we try it then?
Here is another brilliant combination that we are sure you will find too hard to resist! The Gemelli pasta with shrimp and lemony zest tastes so good that you will find it difficult to curb your temptations at the table!
Cooked with shredded chicken breast, sun-dried tomatoes, and parmesan cheese, the classic Gemelli pasta is right to make your weeknight meal exciting for the entire house. Do not forget to add some heavy cream and chopped mushrooms in it too and you are done!
The idea of braised beef ragu with Gemelli is an exciting recipe that calls for an elaborate Sunday brunch. Rich and creamy, you can make it easily within thirty minutes. So this way you are saved from waking up early on a holiday!
Here is a vegan version of Gemelli pasta that we are sure you will definitely find flavorful and outstanding! The gooey cream with chopped mushrooms complements each other so well. Shall we try it then?
Well, if you are having a busy and tiring weeknight then reward yourself for the whole hard work with a bowl of comforting Gemelli pasta soaked in lemon and garlic sauce. So what are you waiting for?
The recipe for Gemelli mac and cheese is a modified version of the classic one! And we will not lie, this tastes even better! Do not trust us? Well, try out on your own to find out! Make it tonight and enjoy!
Well, how can we miss out on this one? The Gemelli pasta recipe with tomato and a handsome dose of mascarpone makes it such an extraordinary dish in the eyes of pasta lovers! You should definitely try it out!
Perfect for making your summers even better, the sun-dried tomatoes with white wine tastes simply so divine! If you are planning a surprise date with your partner then you make a bowl of Gemelli for the special meal!
Saucy, sticky and healthy, the bowl of Gemelli pasta with sausages is simply irresistible! A source of blissful flavors for the taste buds do give it a try to this one for sure. Do not forget to add some broccoli florets too!
Well, the recipe for chicken pesto pasta will certainly not disappoint you during the busy weeknights! Ready in just a single pot, there is no need for you to monitor your meal as well.
Just when you weren't expecting it, we came across the idea of Gemelli with turkey and it struck us that the recipe should make it to the list! Enjoy the dish of pasta with turkey and an abundance of seasoning for dinner tonight!
The idea of lemony pasta with a handsome amount of ricotta renders it with a divine taste! If you haven't tried Gamelli with white sauce before then now is your chance to do so. Go for it right away!
Oh, we almost missed out on this one! The creamy tomato and pasta sauce recipe with capers is an excellent idea that one must try out, especially with Gemelli! If you are making Gemelli pasta for the first time, this is a must-have!
Ready in one pan, the creamy chicken pasta with the tangy hint of tomato tastes so good. Rich and flavorful, you are definitely going to fall in love with this one! Make it and tell us how much you like it!
Perfect for the summers, the cold and refreshing Gemelli pasta salad with basil and cheese is simply outstanding. Packed with a lemony essence, this is surely a great way to make your salads healthy and yummy at the same time.
1. What is the secret to making perfect pasta?
You need to be careful about the boiling conditions of the pasta! Use a large bowl and allow the pasta to float freely in the liquid as you boil them! Add some salt and stir frequently!
2. What are some of the things that you must remember while making pasta?
Never forget the pasta is to water ratio while boiling or the pasta might get soggy and stick to one another. Make the sauce before you boil the pasta so you can add it immediately into the gravy once drained.
3. What is the golden rule for making pasta?
Never add oil to water or the drained pasta if you wish to enjoy the gravy marinated on the same! A greasy surface will prevent the sauce from sticking to the pasta and what you will get will be another disaster.
4. What are some of the common mistakes you make while making pasta?
Often the lack of proper quantity of water renders the pasta either overcooked or undercooked. Be careful with stirring! Never allow them to settle for long or the strands might stick to each other.
5. What are some of the qualities of good pasta?
The pasta surface should be smooth and firm! There should be color retention strength and elasticity in the strands which are a few determining factors of good quality pasta.
Bottom Line- Well that was a long discussion about pasta and how to cook Gemelli pasta! Now we leave you to that! It is time for you to put on the chef's hat and get ready with the sauces as the Gemelli pasta boils in the pan. Good luck!