So most of us are aware of what finger food is, aren't we? These are small food items that are served mainly as appetizers at events and gatherings! One is expected to consume these dishes by hand and hence the name. With the season of celebration around the corner, you must be wondering what are some of the starters that you can introduce to the main course, well the answer is right here! You no longer have to worry about what to eat and what not! Here are some recipes that we are sure you will find interesting! But before that, let us quickly read some information about finger food so we are clear with the concept.
Concept of finger food- if you are making finger food and wondering whether it is good or shall it create a mess then here we are to solve your crisis! These are rather hassle-free; there is no oil or crumbs that are spilled. The origin of finger food is derived from French canapes.
Let's learn some history about finger food - now that you have decided to make finger food for Halloween this weekend, let's quickly glance into the pages of history. Let's go! Most of them have originated as a canape and none of these finger food share a common history incidentally. During the Middle Ages, some small dishes were served in the middle of the main courses. These used to have elaborate representations and a treat to the eyes of the spectators. During the 14th century, these entrees would consist of meat like pork, chicken, lamb, veggies, and so on. Fish was also included along with the same. These were beautifully crafted and often served accompanied by music and wonderful displays too! By the 17th century, all food was required to be served at the same time and the definition of the entremets changed over time. These got restricted to savory dishes only. It was during this time the Canape became famous! It was a piece of bread that was adorned beautifully with different toppings. Later canapes acquired so much popularity that all finger foods at the party were referred to by the name canape.
As the 19th century came along, the main course was also accompanied by drinks which became a custom along with the food items.
During the period of prohibition - when the American Prohibition Law was passed in 1920, drinking was officially banned and people often drank together, in groups, but in secret! However, when they came out of the space, to prevent them from looking intoxicated, finger food was served throughout the night! This way, the alternate serving of food and drink would keep them considerably sober. The food was of small sizes and portions, so it didn't fill them up enough and left space for drinking too! After the Prohibition Act was lifted, the canapes were often served at cocktail parties and became a tradition.
In today's world, there are so many wonderful finger foods that are available in a wide variety! These are also called fast food.
- Fast food- most of the fast food that you eat today is finger food! These are easy to make and can be eaten on the go! Served as snacks and consumed any time of the day when one is feeling hungry, fast food is easily available everywhere or you can even make them at home.
- At parties and events- you do not jump into the main course at the very first minute of a party, isn't it? Finger food is served as an appetizer at the events.
If you are going to organize a party this weekend for Halloween and wondering which is the ideal way to introduce these finger foods and an appetizer to the table then here is a complete guide for you to follow! Let's read on!
1. Maintain uniformity- when you are serving finger food or starters at the party then there is one thing that you should keep in mind! Uniformity is the key to it! This way all the items receive equal attention from the guests and everyone will consume each of them! To display all the items properly, you need a large tray or a plate, make sure each one of them is visible to the eye of the guests, and no overcrowding is done.
2. Always customize the dishes to the theme of the occasion- the best thing about Halloween is that you can customize the food according to the season! For example, there can be candy ghosts, ghouls, and so on.
3. More the colors the better - you should introduce more colors to the platter! Finger food tastes amazing when you cook them well but what draws the attention of the spectators is its taste. Visual representation is highly important to ensure that everyone enjoys the starters that you have arranged for them. Make sure that it is Halloween so you should focus on more colors and make each platter vibrant and beautiful.
4. Try out new shapes- one part of good representation involves experimenting with different shapes and figures! Circle gives a look of finesse and beauty to finger food! You can roll up the meat in the skewers so they look better. Similarly, other shapes are also needed from square cheese cubes and so on to bring about a sense of dynamism to the table.
5. Individualism is a must- do not make the same dish again and again every year, rather you should focus on bringing a sense of uniqueness to the table! Everyone shall be even more interested to visit the parties you host if you can make the appetizer to the main course, everything distinguished and new every year. Food at the party plays a vital role in determining and setting the mood of the occasion.
6. Introduce skewers and cups on the table- to make the finger food even more tempting and gorgeous, you need to use skewers and cups! This is a wonderful way of presenting treats and small bite-sized appetizers to the guests at the party. It also effectively draws the attention of the foodies and they will definitely praise your skills of presentation too!
Now, that is enough about finger food! You must be hungry by now! Let us find out about some finger food recipes that you can try out during the Halloween season.
Delicious Finger Food Recipes for an Epic Halloween Party
The meatball mummies are super yummy and crunchy! Coated with a crispy layer and filled with crumbly and succulent meat, the meatball mummies are just the best spooky finger food you need for parties.
The antipasto eyeballs are designed with prosciutto, olives, and cheese! The flavor of mozzarella combined with meat tastes so awesome indeed! This is an exciting and exotic appetizer that you should make to indulge in the mood of the festival.
The witch's broom hardly takes any time to get done with perfection! You have the layer of thick cheese and pretzel sticks which are perfect to define finger food at the party. Such an exotic treat that you must make this season!
It rather looks horrifying at first sight but what can we say, after all this is the season of Halloween and things are meant to be scary! Instead of food color, you should make use of jam to make it a healthy treat.
The jalapeno popper mummies are ready in a jiffy! With a crispy coating outside and tender jalapeno flesh inside for the spicy essence. A pair of poppy eyes are also provided so that the mummies look spooky to suit the theme of the occasion.
The delectable and crunchy Halloween Caprese skewers are just what you need to make yourself and the guests content with a treat in the evening. This is such an extraordinary creation with basil, cherry tomatoes, and balsamic glaze.
The creamy and colorful monster Mac and Cheese is here to make your seasonal celebration even more special! The presence of smooth butter and candy eyeballs makes them look perfect. So what are you waiting for? Try it today!
The thinly sliced cucumber served with cream and olives is a marvelous idea that you simply should not miss out on! The olives are chopped and shaped into tiny spiders! Isn't it perfect and meant for Halloween? Well, of course! Get it done today!
How can we miss out on deviled eggs when we are celebrating Halloween? The olive spider perched on top of the eggs gives a sense of thrill and macabre in the air! You can enjoy this recipe for breakfast in the morning or as a starter at a party.
Crunchy outside and juicy inside, the concept of the pizza skull is very unique and will make your party customized to the occasion. Cheesy and gooey, do give it a try for sure.
Popcorn, candy corn, peanut, and Reese's mix are blended together to create this fantastic recipe! Packed with loads of flavor, the Halloween monster munch mix is a wonderful idea that does not even need for one to bake! Get a bowl ready already!
The simple Halloween Oreo bat finger food is an extraordinary creation that is loaded with cream and icing! The pair of spooky eyes of the bat staring back at you can be indeed very startling. Try it for sure.
The marbled deviled eggs with a gooey and spicy yolk taste so divine. Marinated in spices and adorned with a blue shade on the egg white, this is a magnificent creation indeed. What a great idea to keep yourself content with a tasteful treat right before the meal!
The strawberries marinated in rich chocolate and resembling the figure of a mouse are such an extraordinary creation indeed. These rats look so realistic that don't be surprised if the guests freak out at first!
How adorable are these witch apples which are provided with an edible broomstick made with cheese and pretzel? The hat was designed with Hershey's Kiss and looks so extraordinary that you will be compelled to eat more than one.
The Halloween popcorn with cream and caramel tastes simply so good! Divine and delicious, this is a fantastic idea flooded with flavors and perfect to go with a horror movie. The occasion of Halloween calls for you to celebrate with your family and enjoy quality time with the little ones as you share a film and popcorn with them during the weekend.
Mummy jalapeno poppers are another extraordinary creation with crispy coating outside and jalapeno inside. Rich and flavorful, this is a brilliant idea with a pair of poppy eyes!
The mozzarella eyeballs are so easy to make and perfectly suited to the theme of the occasion. Delicious and creamy, make finger food like this one for the upcoming party and surprise your guests. Shall we then?
Adorable Halloween deviled eggs are simply so irresistible and taste out of the world! Adorned with small red bell pepper ears and tail, do give it a try for sure. Well, how can you even celebrate Halloween without deviled eggs?
This is a wonderful way of adorning the apple slices! The tongue is made with strawberries and spooky eyes make it a perfect treat for the fall season. What a fruit delight to make as an appetizer during the holidays! Shall we?
1. What are some good finger foods for a party?
Finger food like poppers, skewers, and cheesy balls are fantastic for you to make! You can also even try out deviled eggs as a wonderful finger food for the season of Halloween.
2. What are some of the cheapest finger foods that you can make for parties?
If you are organizing a party on a budget then you have to be careful about what appetizers you plan to make! Options like burritos, casserole, and french toast are some of the common ideas to indulge in. You can also introduce muffins, fruit salads, and s'mores.
3. Name some of the most common finger food for parties?
Some of the most popular finger food that is made at parties include chocolate truffles, meatballs, chicken tender, parmesan-crusted bread, and so on.
4. How much finger food should you arrange for fifty guests at the party?
If you are holding a small gathering of about fifty guests then four to five bites for each person! Hence you have to make about 250-260 appetizers to satiate the guests on the day of the occasion.
5. What are some of the small finger foods and what are they called?
Hors'd'oeuvres is the term used for defining small finger food bites. These are ideal for small parties and events when you have guests during the holidays.
6. How much finger food should you have during the holidays?
At the parties and the events, the finger food must be enough for guests! You should at least have four to five-finger food per individual!
Bottom Line- Now that you have so many finger food recipes at your disposal, prepare these dishes already! So get started! Wish you all the luck!