Well, Christmas is the season of joy and jubilance! This is the time of the year when you can indulge in a great time with your family and loved ones. Bygones are allowed to be bygones and you are ready to bid farewell to the year which is almost gone. We do not know about you, but Christmas is our favorite festival and if you feel like us, then you already have an idea of the high levels of excitement and thrill in the air. Today, we are going to teach you to make great candies at home! This way you can offer treats to the kids and make them something filled with your affection and warmth. If you are doing this for the first time, then learn the tips for sure.
1. You need a candy thermometer that is accurate- when you have embarked upon the task to make candies, perhaps the first thing that you must have is a thermometer to measure the temperature of the sugar syrup. Temperature plays a very crucial factor in candies and you have to be accurate. There is definitely a technique to record the temperature of the syrup! You would rest the thermometer on the side of the hot pan so it can note the temperature accurately but do not make the mistake of touching it to the bottom of the pan or you will get an inaccurate reading.
2. Choose the right weather to make your candies- you will be surprised but it is true! The weather is a crucial factor that you have to take into account as you make candies. These need to be rather prepared on a dry day instead of wet and humid or when it is raining! Your candies will otherwise fail to become firm and soak all the moisture into them. Sugar attracts moisture and turns soggy, that is something we all are aware of. Hence you need to choose the right day to do the task. If you observe that the sky is overcast then perhaps it is not the right day to make candies.
3. You shall need a heavy saucepan to do the job- you shall need a heavy saucepan to make your candies or else you might run the risk of burning the candies at the bottom of the pan. The general aluminum pans in the kitchen are good enough! There is no need for you to buy a brand-new one, the standard heavy pans in your kitchen will work fine.
4. You should always use fresh ingredients while you make candies- there is another thing that you must note! Quality over quantity! When you make the homemade candies, make sure that all the ingredients from fruit syrup to so on, that you aim to use are fresh! Otherwise, you will not be able to bring out the best of flavors for the same. And do not try to substitute butter with butter spreads or margarine as that will never give the creamy texture and flavor to your candies.
5. Storing is a crucial factor - making candies are easy and impulsive but did you consider where to store them? Well, that is something that you need to take into account. An airtight container is best to do the task. You may use small plastic wraps to pack each of them. Most of the recipes use ingredients and quantities that will last the entire holidays so you have to think about an effective way to store them too. Metal containers with lids are good as well.
6. Do not store candies that absorb moisture with candies that lose moisture- yes, it is true! There are two categories for candies! One loses moisture while another absorbs moisture! Both should never be left in the same container. Examples of the former include caramel, mint, and hard candies while the latter comprises meringue, fondue, and fudges. If both these types of candies are kept together then in the end they will become sticky and you would not probably like to consume them. You can store them in the refrigerator and then bring them out about an hour before to thaw the candies before serving. Wax wrapping is the most effective technique to store the candles although aluminum foil wraps are an excellent idea too. Make them all at once and then segregate them into small batches and store them in an airtight container. Small batches mean you can finish one batch at a time and that way you will not end up frequently opening the lids to slip out some candies every other day. This technique is quite useful and proven. Next time you make candies, follow this rule.
What are some of the tools that you need while making Christmas candies
Well, if you wish to make candies for the kids and the guests during the Christmas holidays then you have to stock up your kitchen with a couple of these tools and utensils! Let's find out what they are!
- A heavy bottom saucepan- you need a large saucepan to make the candies! The volume of candy ingredients you add to the saucepan should not be right up to the brim. Rather the volume of the saucepan should be three to four times the quantity of the ingredients so that the syrup can rise but not overflow. The bottom of the pan should be heavy and thick so that you do not end up with burnt syrup at the base.
- Then you need a large bowl- the large bowl should be large enough to hold the saucepan inside it. This is because you should not place the syrup directly on fire or chances are the bottom of the pan can get burnt and the syrup destroyed. Moreover, the temperature of the sugar mixture continues to rise even after it is removed from the fire. Placing the saucepan in a cold bath in the bowl is the ideal way to deal with the hot liquid.
- Wooden spoon or silicone spoon- you need a wooden spoon to stir the liquid inside the saucepan as you get your sugar syrup ready! However, a silicone spoon is a better option as it lasts longer than wood and is a great alternative.
- Have a pastry brush- next you need a pastry brush to add some water on all the sides of the pan so that the liquid syrup does not crystallize on the surface of the pan.
Delicious Christmas Candy Recipes | The Best DIY Christmas Treats
The colorful cream cheese mints are lovely! These look exactly like small thumbprint cookies! You can make loads and loads of them as they are super easy and super addictive at the same time. Shall we try it then?
These colorful rock-shaped candies are a vintage recipe that is sure to instill a memory from the past. You must have enjoyed them as kids! Now it is your turn to prepare them for your little ones this holiday season.
Filled with chocolate and topped with chocolate! This is the most amazing recipe of all time! Delicious and perfect as bite-sized appetizers, you must serve it to the guests and see how fast these disappear from the bowl. Shall we make it then?
All you need are five ingredients to make the Christmas cracks which only take about half an hour to get done with perfection. Delicious and packed with rich chocolate icing on top, you should make them this time. Go for it!
Rich and delectable, the recipe for smooth butter finger is exactly what you need to keep yourself content and filled! Perfect to greet your guests as they walk into the house, this is the best one we came across! Hence you should make them right away!
If you have too many Graham's crackers in the house then this peppermint crunch one is the best. Rich and creamy, this is a wonderful treat for the little ones as well. But even the adults will not spare their share.
Here is another exotic recipe that you cannot ever resist. The exotic Butterfinger tornado truffles are perfect and filled with delicious treats. Dipped in chocolate, your Christmas candies are ready! Shall we begin then?
The classic Samoa truffles are made from scratch too! The chocolate toppings with a gooey caramel center are simply fascinating and you should give it a try. And guess what, these are super easy to make if you are running short of time during the holidays.
Filled with Oreo crumbs inside and packed with white chocolate outside, the recipe for Oreo balls for Christmas is the best. Luxurious and creamy, you are definitely going to fall in love with this one. Make sure you have enough for everyone.
You simply can not run out of ideas when it comes to candies for Christmas. Here is a recipe for the sweet maple treat with walnuts studded into the truffles. Thank us later for the idea, now enjoy to your fullest.
11. Sticky paws
The sticky caramel drizzled over almonds is wrapped with loud chocolate and allowed to get hard. This is the perfect definition of candies. Do give it a try for sure. You are definitely going to love this idea. Tell us how this turned out to be!
12. Oreo barks
Here is another exciting recipe that you should indulge in with the advent of the Christmas season. The white chocolate barks loaded with Oreo crumbs taste so divine. You can serve it as a welcome treat to the guests as they visit you during the holidays.
Here is another wonderful recipe that is super easy to make. Did you make slow cooker candies before? Then you must give a try to the chocolate turtles in the holidays and be prepared to be smitten.
Resembling chunks of honeycomb, the idea is brilliant! If you are a fan of candies then make sure you do not miss out on this treat. Packed with flavors, it is certainly a must-have. Shall we go for it then?
15. No-cook divinity
Yes, that is right! These candies are highly convenient! You do not even have to cook them! Save your time while still surprising your little ones with the no-cook divinity candy. These are a batch of classic holiday candies that you should indulge in.
These are sweet peanut barks that we can guarantee will win all hearts at the party! The best part is these are well-known among kids as well as adults. You must have tried it as a child! This time make it all by yourself at home.
Here is another brilliant idea for candies that you can make during the holidays! Packed with syrup and cream, the recipe for Louisiana pralines turns out to be awesome. Shall we try it out then?
Now, it is time for you to indulge in candies of all sorts! After all, it is Christmas vacation and you ought to make the best of it. You must have heard about the potato candies! Here is a recipe to make it at home.
Super easy to make and absolutely lovely, the white chocolate fudges are best to be called a toffee or candy! Look how delighted the kids shall be to find them displayed in a jar. Make them right away!
All you need are a couple of minutes to prepare the caramel pretzel hugs! Drizzled with caramel, icing, and treats, these candies turn out to be absolutely colorful and vibrant for the occasion. Such a wonderful idea to relish this season!
1. What are some of the steps that are involved in candy making?
Threading, soft ball, firm ball, hard ball making, soft, hard crack, and addition of caramel! These are the basic and most relevant steps of candy making! More or less all the candies are made in a similar style.
2. How are candies made?
One or more sugar syrups are heated in the pan! The temperature is maintained constant at 320°F! After the syrup is ready, it is allowed to cool at room temperature in a water bath made inside a bowl.
3. What is the reason behind my candies not becoming hard enough?
If you see that your candies are not becoming hard even after you precisely followed the steps then that must be because there is too much water or liquid content in the candies. You need to dry it first!
4. What is the basic principle of making candies?
Sugar is allowed to dissolve in water or milk at high temperatures and then allowed to cool down in a water bath. You remove the syrup from the heat when the candies start to caramelize or turn thick.
5. What are the popular kinds of candies?
Lollipops, gummies, caramel popcorn, chewing gums, and so on, are some of the many candy options for you.
6. What kind of sugar is used for making candies?
The general white sugar extracted from sugarcane and containing sucrose is used for making the syrup.
Bottom Line- After having such a long conversation on candies, even we are not excited to make some. After all, these are candies and are bound to make your mouth water with temptations. So let's not waste a second more, and get started with the preps. Shall we?